removal of line artifacts not traceable

questions about practical use of Neat Image
Erhy

removal of line artifacts not traceable

Post by Erhy »

Hello,
in my scanned old photos are many line artifacts.
I could not detected, that Neat removes any.

Please give me an idea how to treat with.
Perhaps you have examples before / after, to see in which cases removal of line artifacts works.

Thank you for advice
Erhy

picture detail after filterd with Neat Image

this adjustments for Artifact
NITeam

Re: removal of line artifacts not traceable

Post by NITeam »

Do you see those lines in the original image?

Please try to increase the noise level setting.

Thank you,
Vlad
Erhy

Post by Erhy »

Thanks,
yes, the lines were also in the original image.

After adjustments, to remove more noise, the lines disappear and I could see the effect of adjustments for line artifacts.

Erhy

I used
DogsAfire

Post by DogsAfire »

When I first started using Neat Image, I was confused about this also. I didn't understand that what I was seeing in my processed images was an incorrect noise level setting, rather than something to do with the artifact removal. I find the Frequency Components display arrangement that shows the image, along with the luminance (or Cr or Cb) information at High, Mid and Low frequencies, to be extremely useful for adjusting the Noise Level setting.

With the frequency display arrangement, I set the Luminance Noise Reduction Amount to 100% (I know, I could use the Filter Tuning Mode, but it's just as easy to set Luminance to 100%). I then adjust the Noise Level values, starting with High only, until I don't see any of those linear artifacts in the corresponding frequency display. I look through the image at a number of places, usually at 100% or 200% in order to see the small artifacts. When I like my High results, I bring up the Mid Reduction Amount and do the same and then once again the same with the Low. The Very Low and Ultra Low are best evaluated by direct observation of the full image. I don't need them a lot anyway.

It is sometimes necessary to adjust the overall Noise Level and/or the Luminance Noise Level in addition to the individual frequencies, but most of the time, the individual sliders provide enough adjustment. I usually find myself pushing the sliders to the right, but I have found at times that a negative adjustment of the Noise Level can be helpful, especially at lower frequencies where blurring of the image detail becomes an issue.

Once I have the filter tuned up, I simply back off of the Luminance Noise Reduction Amount a bit. Since I use the Photoshop plug-in, I usually lean a bit to the overprocessed side, since I can fade the effect of the filter in Photoshop if it looks like I have overdone the effect.

Prior to discovering the Frequency Components display mode, I felt lost trying to adjust the Noise Level sliders. Now I feel as though I really have control over these settings and it is rare that I see the little dashes appearing in my processed images anymore.

Bruce G