Aperture integration?

questions about practical use of Neat Image
gsfprez

Aperture integration?

Post by gsfprez »

I'm no programmer, so i don't know if there is any kind of plug-in architecture for Aperture - but i know as a Intel Mac user (had to go mobile, couldn't see spending all that money for a slow laptop) for what i do, I avoid going into Photoshop as much as possible now.

My workflow is really streamlined with Aperture now, and really, all that I am missing now is NeatImage to help me clean up those high ISO photos... since i do a lot of "we need the picture now and we don't have time for you to make it look better in Photoshop" work, really, I don't want to go over to Photoshop - even when its UB. Editing the photos is not a requirement, but getting rid of the noise would be nice.

is there any chance we'll see NetaImage integrate with Aperture, since the noise reduction in Aperture borders on the useless?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for the question and in fact a suggestion, because you are the first person to raise this issue.

Aperture is a relatively young product and it seems to be not supporting third-party components or plug-ins in the current version (I have to check once again since things change quickly). If there is no such support then the only way to interface with Aperture is through temporary files, which is not what you would prefer as I understand. We will check if there is any other way to achieve the same goal with Aperture but of course we should be expecting Aperture to support plug-ins because that is the way to easily re-use a lot of readily available tools.

Thank you once again for the question.

Vlad
gsfprez

Post by gsfprez »

perhaps a small, fast, stand-alone app that could be chosen as a "editing app" in the Aperture prefs that would essentially allow a user to do nothing but perform NetImage processing?

The big slowdown is Photoshop, honestly. A small .app like this could serve as a stop-gap until the Aperture plug-in API is established - i'm making that assupmtion because Apple would have to have their heads shoved up their collective butts to think they could get away without one.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you for the suggestion. We will consider this option and will also check once again which other options are offered by Aperture developers.

Kind regards,
Vlad
TaoSpace

How about now?

Post by TaoSpace »

Aperture now supports export plugins...mainly this is used for uploading stuff to image sharing sites etc., but what about being able to run stuff through NeatImage on export instead?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Unfortunately, such a solution would most likely not be able to support all functions required in a filter plug-in, which is typically quite different from export plug-ins.

Anyway, thank you for the suggestion.

Vlad
planky

Post by planky »

NITeam wrote:Unfortunately, such a solution would most likely not be able to support all functions required in a filter plug-in, which is typically quite different from export plug-ins.

Anyway, thank you for the suggestion.

Vlad
Hello, apparently the new v.2.1 Aperture supports plug ins properly now.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Is the SDK is openly available so that third-party developers could build plug-ins for it? Last time I checked it was not.

Vlad
planky

Post by planky »

NITeam wrote:Is the SDK is openly available so that third-party developers could build plug-ins for it? Last time I checked it was not.

Vlad
Hi Vlad,

They have just released this with version 2.1. I got the news about this here

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/03/28aperture.html

Thanks
Nigel
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Hi Nigel,

Thank you, I have seen that announcement too. As you can see, they haven't yet published the SDK. Which is a pity because this slows down development of any third-party plug-in.

Thank you,
Vlad
planky

Post by planky »

NITeam wrote:Hi Nigel,

Thank you, I have seen that announcement too. As you can see, they haven't yet published the SDK. Which is a pity because this slows down development of any third-party plug-in.

Thank you,
Vlad
Except some appear to have the SDK already!

Edit Plug-ins
Aperture 2 includes a powerful plug-in architecture for the seamless integration of popular third-party image editing software, such as Nik Software's Viveza and PictureCode's Noise Ninja (both available soon).

Thanks
nigel
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Saw that too. Too bad Apple is not open for everyone. Some animals are more equal. ;-)

Vlad
planky

Post by planky »

Hi Vlad,

It seems that the Aperture Plug In SDK is now available.

http://developer.apple.com/appleapplica ... index.html

Nigel
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Hi, thank you for letting me know. I have heard from Apple as well.

I hope we will now be able to do something useful with Aperture.

Thank you,
Vlad
mitch

vote for plugin

Post by mitch »

I'm sure you probably don't need a thousand posts on this thread from everyone, but I just want to say that an Aperture plugin for neatimage would save me lots of round trips. I'd even pay a little extra to have a NI plugin (tho i suspect that many would expect a free upgrade :)