Neat Image and Sharpening

questions about practical use of Neat Image
sternhagen

Neat Image and Sharpening

Post by sternhagen »

Some time ago you advised that NI sharpening should be applied at the end of the work flow. I have been doing this with good success—noise reduction at the beginning of the work flow and checking the box for NI sharpening at the end. I just want to verify that when NI sharpening is applied at the end it does not duplicate nor significantly impact the noise reduction done at the beginning. Thank you your advice.
Regards
Sternhagen
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

If you disable noise reduction when you do the second pass then the noise reduction is not applied. If the only difference in filter settings in the first and second pass is the enabled sharpening in the second pass then you are applying noise reduction twice. If you want to avoid that please disable noise reduction in the second pass: set all noise reduction amounts to 0%. As an easy way to automate that, create two filter presets: one with normal noise reduction and disabled sharpening and another one with disabled noise reduction and enabled sharpening. And then load the correct preset at right time.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
sternhagen

Noise Reduction and Sharpening

Post by sternhagen »

To NIT Team:
Thank you for the prompt reply and advice. I shall amend my work flow to ensure I disable noise reduction when I use NI to sharpen at the end. I tend to use my noise reduction preset parameters as a starting point and then analyze with NI. This brings to mind the nfp Presets that are a part of NI (and which many of us tend to forget!). I assume that if I were to load the 'No Filtration' Preset, provided by NI as a nfp Preset file, at sharpening time and set the sharpening parameters this would eliminate the adverse double noise reduction and provide a base for sharpening. Further, if I were to save my sharpening guidelines as a nfp preset this would accomplish the goal of creating the two filter presets you suggest: the one with normal noise reduction(my preset) and disabled sharpening, and another one with disabled noise reduction and enabled sharpening (my preset). I hope I have got this right. Thank you for your help.
Regards
Sternhagen
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, that is correct.

Vlad
Stan Schurman

PLugging NI Home into Gimp

Post by Stan Schurman »

Any advice on how to do this?

Thanks