Crop and/or rotate before NI

questions about practical use of Neat Image
Rick

Crop and/or rotate before NI

Post by Rick »

Hi, I'm using NI on TIF files generated by Canon DPP. DPP can rotate and/or crop an image (and update the EXIF data) before I pass it to NI.

If a TIF has been rotated into Portrait orientation. Will this affect the accuracy of my prepared NI profiles? All my profiles were built in Landscape orientation (and of course the calibration target is landscape)

Can I photograph the Landscape calibration target, then rotate 90deg. to generate a Portrait-oriented profile? Will NI recognise the calibration target if it has been rotated? Is there any advantage in preparing a profile this way?

Also, similar question on cropping. The generated TIF has lower resolution – unwanted areas have been removed, but it seems to me that the noise characteristics (per pixel) should not change - so will my existing profiles still be accurate? (I guess what I'm asking is whether the overall image size makes any difference, or whether it's just noise-per-pixel that counts)

Thanks
Rick
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Portrait vs Landscape: there may be some difference. Ideally you would need two profiles. Yes, you can rotate the target in postprocessing then profile it to build such a profile (the rule is: the workflow to prepare the target should be the same as to prepare the working image). However, the difference may be too small to justify the extra work.

Cropping: yes, existing profiles will do just fine. Of course matching may in some special cases be confused by the image size (if there are also profiles for smaller images), but the profiles themselves will be just fine for both originals and crops from originals.

Vlad