CMYK support

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
Gandalf

CMYK support

Post by Gandalf »

I suggest to work on CMYK support, the reason is simple. Most DTP workes and some photographers need to work most of the time in CMYK. Myself scan pictures directly to CMYK (better results). Converting pictures after in RGB and back to CMYK results in loosing colors. Therefore I think NI should work also on CMYK as well as RGB pictures. Can I expekt such improvement??

Gandalf
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Maybe, but it is quite likely that the conversion will be necessary anyway to enable high noise reduction. Either you do it yourself and you see it, or it is done inside Neat Image and you don't see it - the conversion is still done. There may be ways to avoid it but the initial impression is that the conversion will be necessary.

We will consider this issue in our team. Thank you for the suggestion.

Vlad
rui_mac

Post by rui_mac »

PLEASE!!! Include CMYK support. It is a must for professional work.

Rui Batista
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Via internal conversion in NI? - That could be done. Or you could convert the image to RGB manually.

Anyway, thank you for reiterating the suggestion. It has been added to the wish list.

Thank you,
Vlad
rui_mac

Post by rui_mac »

I don't know if the internal algorithm works with CMYK images but I bet it doesn't. What it could do is to, internally, convert the image to RGB (or Lab) in order to perform the calculations but affect the image in CMYK when doing the noise removal process.

Rui Batista
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, of course, as I wrote above, we could do that internally in the plug-in, or you could do that using PS functions knowing that the plug-in will anyway have to work with RGB data, not CMYK.

Thank you,
Vlad
rui_mac

Post by rui_mac »

Converting the image to/from RGB or CMYK using Photoshop implies loosing colors in the process.
Doing it internally inside the plug-in would only perform the conversion for data analysis. The only "color change" would occur in the "noise reduction" process.

Rui Batista
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

In the most optimistic case, that is correct. In practice there may be some limitations.

Vlad
rui_mac

Post by rui_mac »

Yes, I believe there are. I do some programming myself and know how things can be very different, from theory to practice ;)

Rui Batista