Neat Image for Video?

suggest a way to improve Neat Image

Neat Image for Video?

Post by Guest »

Neat Image for Video? :?:
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

If this is a suggestion then thank you! :)
sacherjj

Post by sacherjj »

I'm just happy that you fixed the memory leak for large batches. I have been using NeatImage for video for a long time. Unfortunately, I have to render video to still images, then run them through batch mode, then load as an image sequence. It is still worth all this time and trouble when you have low light, high gain video. It really improves the look of the video. I have people comment that some of our DVDs look like they were shot on HD, after processing the noise out.

I would definitely purchase a plug-in to Vegas for NI. Perhaps you can offer an API that can accept an image and return an image. Then others can use this stub with their own plug-in to call it. Much like frame serving is don't between video applications.
sacherjj

Post by sacherjj »

I guess I shouldn't have been happy about the memory leak fix in 4.4, because I still get "Neat Image cannot free memory block from operating system (2333504-byte memory block is request)" with over 512 Mb of free memory. This with about 50 pictures left in a 1000 picture queue.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

That is most likely caused by another reason (not a memory leak) and we are working to find and eliminate that reason.

In the meantime, I recommend using the command line interface to process very large number of images (e.g., a set of still images from a video sequence).

Here you can find an example of using Neat Image in such a way.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
sacherjj

Post by sacherjj »

I did not realize a command line interface was available. That will be much easier. Thanks.
sacherjj

Post by sacherjj »

I can see why the author of that thread asked for a silent option. The NeatImage window continutes to pop up and take focus away from whatever you are working on. I will typically be running batches of frames overnight, so this isn't a problem. For those who need to use the computer while the batch file processing is going on, here is a tip:

Grab the title bar of the Neat Image window. As it gets to the end of processing, drag the window around. This interaction keeps the window from closing and effectively pauses the loop in the batch file, until you close that Neat Image window.
DaveQ

Neat Batch / Neat Batch AVI: Video Processing for Neat Image

Post by DaveQ »

After several weeks of intense coding, I am finally ready to present v.1 to the world!

The reason for all this work, was the need to process very large numbers of video frames with Neat Image (119,000 +). I soon realized that I could add features to the barebones code and make the tools useful to others, who had also expressed an interest in this usage.

http://www.isochroma.com/Testfiles/NB/neatbatch.htm

Partial list of features:

> Open Source
> AVI or Image File input
> Very large batches (up to 2,147,483,646 images)
> Priority setting
> Input/Output sequence name & number remapping
> Input & Output image format conversion
> Automatic AVS generation for video output
> DNP, NFP, all switches supported
> Automated cleanup of input, output files

All done on-the-fly... with only 1 frame overhead.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you very much, DaveQ. I am sure this is going to be useful for all people who work with noisy video data.

Vlad
KevinB

Post by KevinB »

As good as NeatBatch looks (and it *does* look good) I'd still like to see Neat Image work as a plugin for, say, Premiere.

Just for fun I dropped the PS plugin into Premiere's plugins folder and tried to use it. (Yes, I know it's not designed to work that way but it was just a test.) Interestingly it worked on one frame okay, but crashed Premiere when it tried to move on to the next one.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

KevinB,

You may want to send an e-mail to support at neatimage.com. I may have something for you to check.

Thank you,
Vlad
Lothar1952

Post by Lothar1952 »

I add a vote for avi processing as well - but please in a most comfortable way for the user - that means open an avi within NEAT IMAGE , get an analysis and preview and start processing. After a while watch your denoised, finished AVI. This is designed for the movies you shoot with the digicams rather than a camcorder as they need it so much. Just a quick solution as those movies are not designed to be hollywood films as well but just some memories of private occasions...
A feature more for a hobbyist than a professional who will work on single frames and batch processing with different programs that could use Neat Image as a plugin of course ...

best regards
Lothar
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Lothar, please check my signature line, it will lead you to Neat Video.

Vlad
Lothar1952

Post by Lothar1952 »

NITeam wrote:Lothar, please check my signature line, it will lead you to Neat Video.

Vlad
thank you - wanted to try the demo, however it will not work for me I think. I get an error from virtual dub that the source video format is not acceptable :cry:

I bought a Samsung L83T pocket camera for my wife yesterday and now I´m testing all the features. Of course I tried the movie function with 800 x 592 (highest resolution at 20 fps). Seems virtual dub can´t handle that - and that´s the only video program I owe. My problem will be that I probably need the most expensive version because of that format for some rarely taken shots in addition to an even more expensive high end video program - just for some clips to be put on a dvd beside the slide show ? Can´t decide if it´s worth yet as I fear the rudimentary video function will be used not too often ...

disregard - got it working by now. It´s not virtual dub but Neat Video that causes the crash. If I put a resize filter BEFORE ! the Neat Video filter
the demo works. So I could use virtual dub at least - still have to see if I need the pro version, depends on the number of shots taken by my wife. :wink:

best regards
Lothar
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Could you describe the steps (and perhaps provide a sample clip) that allow to reproduce the crash in Demo? Please use the "Bugs, issues" section of the Neat Video forum and bug report form. The Demo should't crash, so I would like to make sure any problem is resolved.

Thank you,
Vlad