Options in files

suggest a way to improve Neat Image
malamut

Options in files

Post by malamut »

Hello,

I'm still trying to use NeatImage's command line to do some automatied batch post-processing. I think I'm pretty close to the finish line, but now I'm stuck because it turned out that I really need to change NI's options on a per-call-basis. This would be no problem if the options could be saved to and loaded from a file (preferrably a bit human-readable), but currently the options reside solely in the registry, in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ABSoft\NeatImage and HKEY_USERS\<key>\Software\ABSoft\NeatImage, where I don't really want to change them on a per-call basis. :wink:

It would be great to have buttons 'Save options to...' and 'Load options from...' in NeatImage, along with a command line parameter to load a specific option file. I think there would be many usages for a functionality like that, and it should be easy to implement.

By the way, I second the feature request for a smarter sharpening algorithm. It is clear that stronger noise reduction requires more sharpening applied afterwards. It would be great if NeatImage made direct use of its knowledge of where and how strongly noise has been reduced. Especially users of the standalone version (like me :) ) really need that kind of feature. The problem of finding suitable amounts of sharpening for each situation is a major reason for my need of being able to change the options.

Best Regards,
malamut
NITeam

Re: Options in files

Post by NITeam »

malamut wrote:where I don't really want to change them on a per-call basis. :wink:
Why not? If you really want to customize processing on a per-call basis then why not change the registry then?
malamut

Post by malamut »

I consider changing registry items of other software to be an 'evil hack', especially when they are not documented. Actually, I consider it a security leak of Windows that this is even possible, and I wouldn't at all be surprised if Microsoft decided to lock that door in a future version.

Are you sure that you, as the makers of NI, want your users to directly manipulate your software's registry entries? If so, I will just do it. You are the makers, I'll follow your procedures.

Best Regards,
malamut