How to get best profile?

look for ready-made device noise profiles and offer your own ones here
yngdiego

How to get best profile?

Post by yngdiego »

I am trying to get a super high quality device profile for my Canon 5D. So far I've been able to get 86% as my top score. Now I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but I'm not sure HOW out-of-focus I could get the calibration image. Should it be just sligtly fuzzy, or should it be widly out of focus so that there are only vague light and dark areas in the frame?

Are there any other tips on getting to a 100% profile quality?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

It should be slightly fuzzy.

Try to make sure you expose the calibration target in such a way that its patches cover the complete brightness range, from black to white. Use the Auto Profile with Calibration Target function to analyze the image. If the target is correctly exposed then the profile quality will be close to 100%. Check the Profile Viewer to see which values are shown there. If you still cannot get ~100% quality, let me know those values, that will help me diagnose the cause of the trouble.

Thank you,
Vlad
yngdiego

Post by yngdiego »

I fiddled with the focus and lighting and now get 93% profile quality. In the profile viewer the uniformity for all channels is 100%, fine tuning is 85%. Overall profile noise level is 6.38. Is this the best I can hope for?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

In principle it is already good enough for most applications. If you want to make quality even higher then try to improve fine-tuning: use Advanced mode, try to measure those elements of the equalizer that are marked yellow right now.

Vlad
Wolverine@MSU

Post by Wolverine@MSU »

Once a profile is saved (as when using the Batch Profile option), can one go back and tweak the profile to optimize and then save it under the same filename, or does one have to rename the profile.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, you can re-open a profile saved by Batch Profiler and then additionally tweak it using controls in the Device Noise Profile tab. You can save it into a new file or overwrite the original profile produced by Batch Profiler.

Vlad
janarne

Post by janarne »

I had tried manual profiling with the sliders, but the proble is - the sliders could only be moved in 5%-steps, is there a trick to move them in 1%-steps?
greets from greece
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Manual profiling normally does not require manual adjusment of sliders. They are usually adjusted only by the noise analyzers. It is by design that they change in 5% steps when you move them by hand. It is a subtle hint indicating that measurements by analyzers are preferred to manual adjustment.

Vlad
janarne

Post by janarne »

yes i know,
but the fintune analyse often produce measurements over and under 5% steps. So when i like to manual profile with 5%-steps it doesn't reach the accuracy which is needed.
Maybe this could be feature suggestion?:
when the user hold the "Control(Ctr)"-Button the sliders move in 1%-steps
greets from greece
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Again, this is done intentionally, to make you prefer actual measurements over setting values by hand. There could be no manual adjustments at all, since actual measurement is the best way to get those values.

Vlad
janarne

Post by janarne »

Ok, i just asked because i read the user manual where the steps of manual adjustment is described.
greets from greece