New 5D mark ii profiles

look for ready-made device noise profiles and offer your own ones here
rlaws2

New 5D mark ii profiles

Post by rlaws2 »

i just received my new 5D and will be anxiously awaiting the new profiles for this camera! anyone using it yet? :P
azlerader

Post by azlerader »

I have a Canon 5DII, downloaded the NI calibration images yesterday and took photographs of them from ISO 100 to ISO 6400.

I will be building a set of profiles for testing the new 64-bit NI plug-in with Photoshop CS4 16-bit images.

My goal will be to determine if NI still does a better job at noise reduction than CS4's native noise reduction routines.

I do not believe anyone has done that yet... I will report my findings here.
rlaws2

Post by rlaws2 »

great! i am not going to be using the 64 bit version as i am using mac but would welcome the basic profiles.
azlerader

Post by azlerader »

I finished creating camera profiles for the 5DII for all ISO values from 100 to 6400 made from a printed NI calibration chart that I photographed in RAW. There are 19 profiles in all.

The images were converted and opened in CS4 in colorspace ProPhoto RGB and as 16-bits.

I have the profiles zipped and you are certainly welcomed to them but I am uncertain of their value to you given that you are using a different plug-in from the one I generated mine.

Email me at azleader@yahoo.com if you would like me to send them anyway.

Here is what I know so far:
1- 64-bit NI outperforms CS4's native noise reduction routines.
2- In pure default mode 64-bit NI does a visibly better job at noise reduction than CS4.
3- 64-bit NI runs 7+ times faster than CS4. CS4 is dog slow!
4- The 5DII has noise at every ISO level that benefits from NI.

These conclusions are based only on runs I made against the idealized NI charts and not against "real world" images. I don't really expect there to be much difference but that is a test I have yet to perform.

I might also add that the amount of noise at low ISO levels for the 5DII is quite low, but that there is enough that I could see minor improvements when NI is applied while being viewed at 100% crop. Most of the time, though, in practice you probably will not need to run NI against ISO images below 800 or 1000.
azlerader

Post by azlerader »

To let folks know...
I finished a set of 5DII camera profiles for RAW and JPG that work with 64-bit and 32-bit NI plug-ins that I have confirmed will soon be added to the profiles download page.