Building High Quality Profiles

look for ready-made device noise profiles and offer your own ones here
chromeboy

Building High Quality Profiles

Post by chromeboy »

Hello,

I'm in the process of building profiles for all of my cameras, and have a question on quality with the Auto Profile with Calibration Target.

I'm shooting them on my LCD on a tripod, out of focus. I would shoot all of the ISO range, and they all look the same in terms of image brightness. For some of the profiles, the quality is 95%. But for some of the ISO (eg. Canon D10 @ ISO80 and 800), the quality is low. I would get 76% quality, and "area not uniform in Cb channel message (uniformity 95%/100%/41%). If using the same jpg, I use Auto Profile with Regular Image, I would get 96% quality, with 99%/100%/100% uniformity.

Should I use the Auto with Cal. target or Auto with Reg. Image?

With my S90, for ISO80 I only get 47% quality, and the message saying it can't find an uniform area. The "same" image shot at ISO640 (similar brightness), I get 96%.

What exactly am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

There is apparently not enough noise in those low-ISO shots to reliably measure. It doesn't really matter if you use AP with Regular Image or with Calibration Target for those images, the resulting profile will be about the same in actual use, even if the reported quality is different. For simplicity sake use the method that gives higher Quality value for such images.

Vlad