Using Regular Image to Create Profiles

look for ready-made device noise profiles and offer your own ones here
KartalKaan

Using Regular Image to Create Profiles

Post by KartalKaan »

Why are we using calibration target instead of a regular image when creating a noise profile? What will we lose if we use regular image? For example when creating a profile set for my machine, for a profile, I get %78 quality with calibration target (I know, I can improve it.). With a regular image I used Auto Profile and I get %98 (using same settings). Which must I use? Calibraton target with %78 quality or regular image with %98 quality?
Thanks for your interest.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Profiles built using the Calibration Target are usually more reusable (can be used with many images shot in the same camera mode, irrespective of actual content of each individual image), they contain most complete analysis of noise produced by the camera in that mode.

A profile built using a specific regular image is usually only good for that very image, and may not be good for another image, even shot in the same mode. Another image may have a different content that was not present in the original image used for profiling and therefore the noise in the new image may be not familiar to the profile. It is all about content of the image used for profiling. The Calibration Target provides the content that allows to analyze the noise in different brightness ranges and channels. When the target is properly exposed, that allows to measure noise in all conditions and have the most complete noise analysis. This completeness then allows the profile to work with arbitrary image content.

Vlad
KartalKaan

Post by KartalKaan »

So, is every square in calibration image is specially designed?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, the whole target is specially designed to enable measuring noise in different conditions.

Vlad
KartalKaan

Post by KartalKaan »

Thanks for answer. Also, can we select ANY square of calibration target as noise profile area?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

When you use the Calibration Target, you don't need to select any area manually. Instead, please use the Auto Profile with Calibration Target function (in menu Profile). It will automatically select the right area (which is the central area) for analysis and will also automatically analyze the rest of the target image.

Or if you have many test shots of the Target shot in different camera modes and you use the Batch Profiler (in menu Tools) then, the Batch Profiler will also automatically apply Auto Profile with Calibration Target to each shot and produce all noise profiles completely automatically.

Vlad
KartalKaan

Post by KartalKaan »

So, can we select just the center square (bigger one)? Also, sometimes I'm getting better results with semi-manuel profiling than "Auto Profile with Calibration Target" option. As I understood, I can't do that, right?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

You can, it is just not the way it is indented to be used.

Vlad
KartalKaan

Post by KartalKaan »

Thanks for answer.