Profile set for Nikon System 1 S1 (from very rusty NI user)

look for ready-made device noise profiles and offer your own ones here
l_d_allan

Profile set for Nikon System 1 S1 (from very rusty NI user)

Post by l_d_allan »

Here's a link to the 2.8 MB .zip file for the Nikon System 1 S1 camera with embedded noise examples:
http://www.canprint.org/Misc/140227_Nik ... omAcr8.zip

I used the "batch profiler", and I'm not all that confident this very rusty NI user did things correctly. Please let me know if there are appropriate improvements to make.

Here's the contents of the readme:
Nikon System 1 S1 Read Me.txt:

Nikon System 1 S1 noise profiles
by Lynn Allan, February 27, 2014

A set of profiles for Nikon System 1 S1 for uncompressed 16-bit TIF files, saved from the RAW .nef files by Adobe ACR 8.3.
The profiles were built using shots of the Calibration Target on a LCD monitor for the following full size RAW 3872x2592, using ProPhoto RGB and 16-bit.

For each file format and image size above, shots for all of the full stop ISO's and 1/3rd stop ISO's from 100 to 6400 were made and used to build profiles.
From ISO 100 to 200, there are 1/6th stop ISO's, accomplished using Auto-ISO. Note that it is possible to get 1/6th stop intermediates from ISO 100 to ISO 6400.

RAW was used, so my understanding is that camera settings for Sharpness, Contrast, Saturation, Noise reduction, White balance don't apply.

Very little post processing was applied to the RAW .NEF files.
The ACR 8.3 sliders for Basic, Clarity, Vibrance, Saturation, Noise, Sharpness were zero'ed. Lens corrections was disabled. Process Version 2012 was used.
My understanding is that a profile made from a .tif using ACR 8 would be equivalent to making a profile from a .nef RAW file opened in PhotoShop.

The base exposure was ISO 100, f5, 1/4th second with the 30-100-VR lens at 83mm, out of focus. ISO was varied by changing the shutter speed while taking pictures of the calibration target on a LCD monitor, so that the option of Auto-ISO would change the ISO.

The file-naming excluded the WB(#) clause. The Quality Factor was 96 for all profiles, so that was left off the file-naming.

These profiles should be good for both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions of NeatImage.
They are probably suitable for other Nikon System 1 cameras with a 10.1 megapixel sensor.
Based on guidance from the NITeam, the noise samples are included in the profiles, which makes them larger.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Thank you very much for preparing this profile set. We will download it, check the profiles and then add this set to the library, probably a bit later today.

Thank you very much for your contribution to the profile library!

Vlad
l_d_allan

Post by l_d_allan »

I'm not at all confident that I put the S1 profile set together with "best practices", so please advise how to improve. I try to be a "good citizen" on a forum like this.

Specifically, is it "best practice" to zero out the ACR slider to Pv2012 Noise Reduction and Sharpening?

How about the way I renamed the files? Ok to leave on resolution, shutter speed, and quality when they don't change (and are in the EXIF)?

Please don't be concerned about being overly polite, or "ruffling my feathers" or "hurting my feelings" with ways to improve the profile set.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

It is okay to zero out the controls in ACR. However even if you left them on defaults that would be fine. What is important is to build profiles and use profiles with images that are processed using the same settings in ACR. If profiled with zeroes, then actual images then should also be processed with zeroes, for the best results.

Renaming files is not critical for Neat Image, it is only for user convenience. You can do any corrections in the file name, that is fine as long as it is understandable for a human.

Generally, the profile set looks very good. The profiles themselves are fine, the description is detailed and accurate. I think it is all good overall.

Thank you once again!

Vlad
l_d_allan

Post by l_d_allan »

NITeam wrote:Thank you once again!
Glad to help.

And a question: Would it be better to change the label on the S1 profile set?
Currently:
•RAW with Adobe Camera Raw
for RAW images converted to 16-bit TIFF by ACR 8.3

the Canon T3i profile set has the label:
•RAW to TIFF with Adobe Camera Raw
for RAW images converted to 16-bit TIFF using ACR 8.3

I would think the preferred label for the S1 might be:
•RAW to TIFF with Adobe Camera Raw

Or not?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

That is not really critical, since the comments there anyway explain that those profiles are for RAW images converted to TIFFs. In principle, mentioning TIFFs could be skipped altogether to not disallow using them inside Photoshop where RAW images are converted to RGB representation without an intermediate TIFF file.

Vlad