Creating Single Profile v Batch Processing.

look for ready-made device noise profiles and offer your own ones here
midori5467

Creating Single Profile v Batch Processing.

Post by midori5467 »

I am trying to create a set of Nikon D810 Device Profiles for each ISO setting, and using Lightroom as my start and finish point.

When I open one single images with recommended Edit In settings, a TIFF is created immediately before NI open. NI then enables a device profile to be created and stored for a given ISO value. My question question may sound strange - What is that TIFF file to be used for? After careful examination I am convinced that TIFF file is 100% identical to the original RAW.

If I then process a batch of RAW with Edit In NI, the batch images are again created as TIFFs again before NI opens. NI opens with the batch image list (profile not ready) and (output image not ready). After selecting the 'Device noise profile" from drop down the the outputs are completed. Returning to LR I discover that the TIFFs are processed correctly and no longer identical to the RAW. Obvioulsy these are the TIFFs are need to use.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Such TIFFs are used by LR to send images to an external editor like Neat Video. It is just an intermediate file used solely for exchange between LR and the external editor.

Such TIFFs typically contain RGB data, unlike raw (non-rgb) data stored in original RAW files. So they are not the same.

Neat Video reads such RGB TIFFs, processes the image data and returns the results in the same RGB TIFFs.

LR reads and imports those returned TIFFs back and then they appear as TIFFs in LR itself. Yes, those are noise reduced images that you can use further in your editing in LR.

Vlad
midori5467

Post by midori5467 »

Yes, I see that Vlad,

but there appears to be some problem when returning to LR to view processed TIFF. I carried out more testing because it did not working as expected.

Normally if an external editor alters a file then when focus is returned to LR there is an icon on the thumbnail to notify that external program has altered image. If clicking on the icon then there is a choice to use either LR catalogue, or use new external settings. This does not occur when returning focus to LR after NI processing. Thereis no ICOn and no option to invoke NI processing of the TIFF.

Secondly, the TIFF thumbnail, and 1:1 views in Library or Develop Modules are not updated with NI changes. The TIFF views in these modules are still as created before NI invoked.

The only way to view prcessed (denoised) TIFF is to exit LR, re open LR, (still no change in Library Module, then view image in Develop Module and the TIFF is finally updated.

So YES, I agree with you that the TIFF is processed by NI. But LR does not show the changes made to the TIFF. The TIFF must be either opened in Photoshop to see the changes, or LR exited and restarted in Develop Module.

Can you try to reproduce this issue?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Please check in NI Preferences, do you have the option to preserve the original timestamp enabled? It should be disabled for LR to correctly recognize the output TIFF as changed.

Thank you,
Vlad
midori5467

LR5 integration resolved

Post by midori5467 »

NITeam wrote:Please check in NI Preferences, do you have the option to preserve the original timestamp enabled? It should be disabled for LR to correctly recognize the output TIFF as changed.

Thank you,
Vlad
Perfect !!!! You are very helpful and patient.
When next updating User Manual please add this solution to page 45.
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, it looks like it can help to repeat it there. It is currently specified in page 43 only.

Thank you,
Vlad