About spatial and temporal

general questions about Neat Video
jpsdr

About spatial and temporal

Post by jpsdr »

I've a little question, just out of curiosity, and also, you can correct me if i'm saying something wrong.

One property of noise (at least white noise), is the mean value of 0. This allow using temporal aspect, to reconstruct the information, and in a way, minimise the loss of detail.
But, i'm curious, just in the big idea, not in detail, how temporal and spatial interact, in the case of course, both are active.
My guess is that the loss of information is almost done by the spatial filtering part. If spatial is applied before temporal, loss is definitive, and if temporal is applied after, it can help in the result, but may not realy help in keeping the details.
Are finaly the spatial and temporal parts mixed in some kind of way, interacting which each other (for exemple temporal is applied with and without spatial), which finaly help to reduce the loss of details, compared to a pure spatial ?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Indeed, there are many possible ways of applying and combining different filters. The efficiency and accuracy of that may depend on specific algorithms. In Neat Video, we closely couple our temporal and spatial filters in such a way as to achieve best results in a variety of processing situations. It is difficult to explain how that is done without going into details. I would just say that we find that using the temporal filter is the primary option and enabling the spatial filter may be considered as an additional possible way to further reduce the remaining noise (when using the temporal filter alone is not sufficient). It is probably not very good idea to do that the other way around.

Vlad