Apple M1

general questions about Neat Video
Simon19

Apple M1

Post by Simon19 »

Hi everyone,

I've been using Neat Video for some time now, I use it with FCPX.

I'm thinking about switching to one of the new Mac with the M1 chip, obviously I'm not worried about FCPX but Neat Video is the one plug-in I can't live without. Does anyone know if there could be any issues with those new Mac?

Thank you!
NVTeam

Re: Apple M1

Post by NVTeam »

We currently work on adding the native M1 support to Neat Video products for Mac. Hopefully it will be ready before the end of the year.

In the meantime, it is possible to run the Intel version of the Neat Video plug-in for FCP in the Intel version of FCPX via Rosetta on an M1 Mac. That works. It will not however work in the native M1 version of FCPX until we add the native M1 support.

Vlad
pauldeanwells

Post by pauldeanwells »

I am new to forums so I hope I am posting in the right place. It is related to Apple M1 so I thought it would be a good place.
I just bought an M1 Mac mini and use Resolve 17.1 Beta for Mac with M1 support. I previously had been using Neat Video in Resolve on a Windows PC and it worked fine on windows. Now that I am trying to use it on Resolve on M1 Mac it shows loaded successfully in Resolve preferences but does not show up in the color tab in the OFX list. Would I need to install the version of Resolve that is for Intel instead of the new Resolve for M1 to be able to use Neat Video on this M1 Mac mini? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Yes, if you will manage to install the Intel version of Resolve on an M1 Mac. This may work but I haven't tried that directly.

Please note that Neat Video currently supports only Intel Macs and Intel version of Resolve.

We are working on adding M1 support but that is not ready yet.
We try to get this done as soon as possible, hopefully before the end of the year.

Thank you,
Vlad
pauldeanwells

Post by pauldeanwells »

Thanks for the information. I was able to install the intel version of resolve and I can confirm that neat video will work in it. Resolve it self wont be optimized for the M1 chip by doing this but it still runs quite well. Better than I expected. The M1 version of Resolve is still missing some features that the intel version has such as a lot of the Fusion title templates so for now it works out fro me to use the intel version. This way I still have Neat Video and all the Fusion Titles etc. Thanks for making the best noise reduction on the market! I am looking forward to Resolve and Neat Video finishing the optimization for M1.
nick314

Post by nick314 »

Thank you for announcing support for the M1 so quickly! It really is a product I can't live without, especially when mastering content for the highly compressed social web! Have you seen if there is any significant performance boost with the new architecture?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

We expect the new M1 CPU to be close to the performance of the best laptop CPUs from Intel used in the top MacBook Pros so far.
In terms of NeatBench, it would be around 13 fps. The currently available Intel version of NeatBench would show around 8 fps on a M1 machine via Rosetta. You can directly verify the latter now.

Vlad
wingrove

Post by wingrove »

Has anyone managed to get an earlier version of Final Cut to run under rosette on an M1?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

If you need to run the Intel version of FCP X on an M1 Mac via Rosetta 2 (for example to be able to use Intel-only plug-ins installed on that M1 Mac), that may be possible but the procedure depends on the exact version of FCP X you have.

FCP X 10.4.9
If you have FCP X 10.4.9 installed on another Intel Mac at the moment, then you can copy and run it to your M1 Mac using these steps:

1. Make sure you have an Intel Mac with FCP X 10.4.9 installed in the regular location in /Applications.

2. Open the /Applications folder in Finder, select Final Cut Pro.app, open the context/popup menu using the right click or Ctrl+click and select the Compress command. This will zip FCP and create the file Final Cut Pro.app.zip.

3. Move Final Cut Pro.app.zip to your M1 Mac, for example to the Desktop sub-folder in your home folder.

4. Double-click Final Cut Pro.app.zip on the Desktop of the M1 Mac to unpack the archive. This will create Final Cut Pro.app on the Desktop.

5. Rename Final Cut Pro.app to Final Cut Pro Intel.app

6. Move Final Cut Pro Intel.app from the Desktop to /Applications (the Applications folder in the root of the System Volume).

7. Start (double-click) Final Cut Pro Intel.app in /Applications

FCP X 10.5
If you have FCP X 10.5 already installed on your M1 Mac, then you can start it in Intel mode using these steps:

1. Start Terminal
2. Copy&paste the following command into Terminal:
arch -x86_64 "/Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Final Cut Pro"
3. Press Enter.

FCP X should now start via Rosetta and be able to see and use the Intel-based Neat Video plug-in and any other Intel-based plug-ins installed on that M1 Mac.