Applying Neat before or after edit

general questions about Neat Video
TinRobot

Applying Neat before or after edit

Post by TinRobot »

Simple question, I think. I have an hour long old video I have digitized and want to edit. Should I apply Neat to the entire single video and then export, so effectively baking in the noise reduction and then use that file to edit with, or should I edit the original and apply Neat on a scene by scene basis and then output just the one time? The first option is much easier, but I will be applying the filter to some video which will be edited out and it also means a second generation when it is output a second time. Having said that, I would use ProRes for the first output so quality should be fine. Wondering what people do typically. Thanks.
NVTeam

Re: Applying Neat before or after edit

Post by NVTeam »

If the noise is different in different scenes, then one filter will not be sufficient to cover them all accurately. To accurately reduce different noise in different scenes you need to treat it individually, scene by scene.

Vlad
TinRobot

Post by TinRobot »

Yes, I can see that, but then the same question applies. Is it better to bake the noise fix into the file by exporting and then importing back in to edit with otherwise? I suspect so as editing with the file with noise reduction can be much slower when it has not been exported.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

You do not have to edit with the noise reduction enabled. You can disable it for the time of editing for example. This way you do not have to export twice. Otherwise it is mostly a matter of personal or workflow-specific preferences I believe.

Please also see this article for some additional ideas: The Way to Smooth Editing in Final Cut Pro

Thank you,
Vlad