Apple Silicon GPU support?

general questions about Neat Video
valleo

Apple Silicon GPU support?

Post by valleo »

Hi there, I just got my MacBook Pro M1 Max and wanted to test it via Neatbench. The result is...ok: 22fps for the maxed out version. That's equal to my Mac Pro 2013 with Dual D700.
But I saw that Neatbench doesn't use the M1 Max GPU. Is there any support planned?

Thanks
NVTeam

Re: Apple Silicon GPU support?

Post by NVTeam »

Yes, we work on that now. The GPU part of M1 Max will likely perform better than the CPU part.

Vlad
valleo

Post by valleo »

8) Neat

Thanks Vlad!
Walter H

Post by Walter H »

Glad to hear this! I've also just got my M1 Max up-and-running.

And, already the Max with the CPU only significantly outperforms my 2019 iMac with a Vega 48. All these advancements with Metal, the Second Revision, the processing efficiency is amazing. Already so impressed prior to the GPU's coming online.

Thanks for your work, Vlad and team.
Sound Pictures

Post by Sound Pictures »

I am doing some testing myself on my new 14" MBP (10-core CPU, 14-core GPU) and the results I'm getting are...not good. I regularly use Neat to clean up older sermons shot in HDV and destined for broadcast. Normally, a 20-minute sermon takes about 2 hours to render out with Neat on my 27" iMac (8-core i9). I ran a test on one sermon and was pleased to see it finish in about an hour and ten minutes. However, on my second test (different timeline) I am getting much slower results, well over 5 hours. I did the math and that comes out to about 2-3 fps, even though when I do a speed check in the plugin it shows me between 10 and 15 fps. I've tried turning off all other effects and just applying NR to the base video, and I have tried building a new noise profile three times with different settings, and am getting the same results each time. I have also done the optimization check in the plugin so I know it should be using all 10 cores. I'm not using high quality or any other settings that would likely result in much longer render times, I'm just building an automatic profile and using that. Is there something I'm missing here? Could it just be this particular clip that's causing it to go much slower, or is something else going on?

edit - I should also mention that during rendering the CPU load never goes above 60% and the fans never kick on. However, during my first test that went much faster the fans were going full throttle the entire time.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

If the type of footage is different in two tests, then FCP may read those clips with different speed. That is one option.

If the frame size of the clips (or project) is different in two tests, that can be the key factor as well.

Please run the Optimize Settings test in both projects and post the whole logs from that window here to let me see the details.

Thank you,
Vlad
Sound Pictures

Post by Sound Pictures »

The two clips are almost identical, they were shot with the same camera in the same location and are nearly the same length, and both are mostly just a static shot of a preacher behind an altar so there should be very little difference in content between them. The only real difference is the actual preacher.

Actually upon further testing I think there may have been some process that was holding up some of the cores on my machine. I tried restarting and testing again, and now I'm getting the faster results I had with the first clip. I'll update my post if I see the issue crop up again, but for now I think I can chalk it up as a fluke. I hope.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Thank you for the update. I hope the speed will be the same in both cases.

Could you post the result of Optimize Settings test still? We haven't yet seen the results from the Pro version of the CPU.

Thank you,
Vlad
valleo

Post by valleo »

Now that you post your first internal results of the GPU speeds, my question is:
Why ist CPU+GPU on M1 Max slower than GPU alone?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

This often happens when the GPU is significantly faster than CPU. It is just more efficient to let the GPU do the job and not bother with the CPU.

Vlad
lucacasa

Post by lucacasa »

Hi!
Have you posted results of M1 Pro and M1 Max GPU bench somewhere?
I only see the CPU speeds in the main Neatbench page.
I am very interested.
Many thanks
Luca
valleo

Post by valleo »

It's on Twitter
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

It is on Facebook: click the [f] icon in the signature.
lucacasa

Post by lucacasa »

Thanks found!
So finally not a big difference between CPU+GPU on the M1 PRO vs GPU only on the M1 MAX.
Really not worth the extra money.
Dear Vlad,
Have you tested also the CPU+GPU or just GPU on the old M1?
I own a Macbook air M1 and I would like to know if it's worth to update at least on the M1 PRO.
Thanks
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

M1 CPU+GPU is almost the same as M1 CPU alone. GPU is slower than the CPU.

M1 Pro appears to be about 2 -- 2.5 times faster than M1.

Vlad