Luminance range for DV-AVI (16-235) and field order

general questions about Neat Video
mhob

Luminance range for DV-AVI (16-235) and field order

Post by mhob »

I am trying out the demo of Neat Video. I am using Sony Vegas Pro 8, and notice that whenever I enable Neat Video filter, the luminance range changes. It looks like the range is stretched to (0-255), which is incorrect. Whites are blown out, and black levels to dark, making the image more contrasty then the original.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to to keep Neat Video from stretching the luminance range?

Also is there a way to adjust field order, or does Neat Video automatically know if it's working with BFF or TFF?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

If you open a frame in Neat Video (in its internal viewer) from Vegas and see that the frame looks brighter or darker than it should that means Vegas provided such data to Neat Video and it is a question to Vegas why it did that. Neat Video itself does not try to change the luminance range. This may be a feature of Vegas itself. In any case, if you e-mail a sample clip or better sample test project that shows this effect when you enable/disable Neat Video filter then we will be able to tell if Neat Video is responsible for this change. It is important to be able to directly reproduce the effect.

Regarding order of fields, this can be adjusted in host (Vegas) itself. Neat Video does not require any specific order.

Hope this helps,
Vlad