Acceptable render times

general questions about Neat Video
Paris

Acceptable render times

Post by Paris »

Hello, 2nd post 1st thread, sorry if this has been covered, i literally JUST purchased this software hours ago and began using it earlier, and i noticed my render times are up SUBSTANTIALLY, so im wondering if there is something im missing, or a way i could reduce render times.

If my english seems inarticulate or inaccurate please forgive me; i am more fluent in Greek and French than English if that helps.

Ill post my specs...

Windows 7 64 bit
Latest version Neat Video plug-in for Premiere Pro
Premiere Pro from CS4 suite
Quad core Intel Q6600 at (stock speeds) 2.4GhZ
4GB DDR2 8500 Corsair ram (4x1GB)
500GB 7200RPM independent Premiere Pro scratch drive
Several TB of storage space (10+ TB) 7200RPM
nVidia/BFGtech GeForce 9800GTX+ OC with 1GB RAM PCIe 2.0
twin 1440x900 19" LCD's

The graphics card has an older driver (will post when render is complete) as CS4 seems to hate it, and the latest drivers for it nearly doubled render times versus the version i am using now with all CS4 products.

EVERYTHING from networking to windows graphics options etc disabled, most startup options disabled, basically set up strictly to provide full processor and ram power to rendering via CS4 Media encoder, yet my times for HDV footage, at 4:19 minutes/seconds are 7h12m at 1440x1900 VBR 1 pass, 7.0mbps minimum, 9mpbs target, and 12mbps maximum are about 42:1, that is, 42 minutes render time to 1 minute output footage; is this normal? That is with ZERO additional effects.

Before i was at 4:1 render to output, and yes multiproccessor support is enabled in CS4/PP and NV pro. We capture with a Datavideo DN-60 HDV CF recorder (via firewire, direct to 30MB/sec CF cards) at 25Mbps 8bit 4:2:0 captured M2T files and incorporate XLR captured (sometimes onboard, sometimes not) 44.1 audio, and deliver both a Blu-Ray DVD (events/weddings/some ads), a DVD with just the files on it native MPEG2, and if is an ad the broadcast standard 3-10Mbps file depending on if is required to be 4:3 SD, 16:9 SD or 16:9 HD, but my numbers here may be off, i do not handle the delivery side of content.

Is there alternate ways we could disable other options or modify current hardware to speed up render times with your plug-in? a 10x increase in render times seems pretty substantial with a quadcore intel and 8bt HDV content; maybe that is not possible either way if it is possible i would love to know as it would dramatically aid workflow speeds; we have only 2 computers to edit/render on (that are fast enough for delivery). Even if more RAM (can never have enough!) or newer graphic card would help i would do it. We are building a Core i7 computer (12GB RAM twin nVidia 480 cards 1GB each RAM with 200MB+write/150MB+read SSD RAID drives to cut bottle necking performance in the next 2 months). The computer we are using now is my own personal computer, the second is a clone of my own PC i built; hardware and software is identical on both, same as render/output times.

Thanks, and great product!

I will post the NV options and specs as soon as the first full render is completed in a few hours, i do know multiprocessor support is enabled and adaptive filtration is on, further specs i cannot list yet as i am home and the machines are rendering on their own at the office.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

The Demo version filters 640x480 pixels in larger frames, so it does less work. The Pro version filters the whole frame, so there is more processing involved and it takes correspondingly more time.

If the frame is 1440x1900, then that size is 8.9 times larger than 640x480
(if the frame is 1440x1080, then it is 5 times larger), so it takes correspondingly longer to process.

Rendering speed depends on the CPU and RAM speed. If you use a faster CPU (like Q9450 or newer i7's), with more cores, with larger cache, then the speed is higher. Faster RAM is a plus too.

Regarding the speed you observe on that hardware, if the frame size is correct (1440x1900) then I would say the speed is about normal. Could perhaps be a bit higher but then there is also compression that takes processor resources.

You can disable temporal filter (set the radius to zero), set some of the noise reduction amounts to zero, disable filter option checkboxes. Usually that leads to lower quality filtration but provides higher speed. I would not recommend to trade the quality for speed, but you can try that, perhaps the loss of quality will not be very noticeable, this depends on specific footage.

We continue to work on increasing the render speed. I hope we will be able to further optimize the filter in the future versions. In the meantime, the best solution is to use a faster processor and faster memory.

Hope this helps,
Vlad