Viewing in NI Home = less contrast?

general questions about Neat Image
TobyH

Viewing in NI Home = less contrast?

Post by TobyH »

Hi all,

Got a strange one here..

I started using the full version of NI yesterday. I have noticed that when I open images in NI, the contrast on them is less than the image viewed in PS Elements that I use to process. I can view them side by side and there is a marked difference. If I save the image in NI then open in PS, the contrast is fine.

I'm sure this must be just a preference and I don't remember ever seeing it in the demo version so I'm hoping someone can offer advice here please.

I have a screenshot comparison here - http://southeastbirding.myfreeforum.org ... 1.php#2081

Anyone advise please? I've tried various different color profiles within PS (sRGB and aRGB) and it remains.

Thanks for any help

TobyH

PS, love the software otherwise :)
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

That is likely to be caused by the difference in color profile: NI always displays the image data assuming it is an sRGB image, while PS Elements may adjust the image based on the embedded color profile.

That potential difference is no problem for the noise reduction process because the filter works on the original data in any case (not on color-profile-corrected data displayed by the image viewer in PSE). The filter does not change the embedded color profile so the final image will look right when it is back in PSE (if the image is saved in the same format as the original, to preserve all metadata; or you can just use the plug-in for PS, it will work directly in PSE and avoid those metadata preserving aspects altogether).

Vlad
TobyH

Post by TobyH »

Vlad,

Thanks for the response. It was indeed the color profile. What I didn't / don't understand is how sRGB in Photoshop can be so different to NI's version of sRGB? On the same screen I would expect to see them the same?

I purchased the Home version so I believe this doesn't include the plugin so that isn't an option unfortunately.

As you point, out it shouldn't affect the outcome so I guess I'll just have to live with it.

TobyH