CS4 crashes when profiling OSX 10.5

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Image
jb

CS4 crashes when profiling OSX 10.5

Post by jb »

Hi, Neat Image Pro v4.7 profiling large document (ext. psb file) format with many layers ~ 1.5GB up in photoshop CS4. When I click on auto profile it starts but never makes it past 0%. Freezes. Cancel not available. End up having to force quit photoshop.

Same file when flattened and as a result 780mb approx works. Is it simply the size? Any suggest be appreciated! Be nice not to have to duplicate file/ flatten and apply Neat Image.

BTW, love this application!!! Are you think of writing an application that I can copy film grain from source and apply it to digital camera file?
Thanks
jb

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 14 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.25f4
Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 2600
14 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
Photoshop ram Use 70%
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

It is most likely caused by the large size of the document that is occupying a big part of the 32-bit Photoshop address space.

The simplest solution would be select a part of the image, take it into a new smaller (in terms of pixel size) document, open it in Neat Image just to build a noise profile and apply. Then open the original large image in Neat Image again and also apply. It will use the profile built using the smaller image so you will not need to do Auto Profile (which requires more memory).

Regarding grain replication, we have it in the wish list but at the moment we do some other development in both Neat Image and Neat Video. I hope we will come to grain replication later.

Vlad
jb

Post by jb »

Figured as much ~ good to know it isn't something more sinister.
Thanks
jb