Smearing Lips

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
Desdinova

Smearing Lips

Post by Desdinova »

I'm restoring an old broadcast video and while Neat has improved the image considerably, in some shots the lips of the actors are smearing and a little out of sync with the audio (but the sync issue is VERY minimal). Owing to Neat's very involved interface, I'm not sure which control I should be futzing with to correct this issue. It's only apparent on the slight mouth movement and the movement of larger objects isn't having this issue.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
NVTeam

Re: Smearing Lips

Post by NVTeam »

I would start by adjusting (reducing) the Noise Level in the Temporal filter to see if that helped or not.

Regarding syncing, which version of Neat Video do you use? Vegas had some sync issues when older versions of Neat Video were used but that should happen with the current versions.

Vlad
Desdinova

Post by Desdinova »

Hi, thanks for jumping in.

The issue was definitely connected somewhat to the Temporal filter; when I dropped it down from 3 frames to 1, the problem was largely resolved but there was a bit too much noise creeping back in so I had to settle for a compromise at 2 frames. It's certainly better but a little more smear-y than I'd prefer (but I'm also working with a crappy source so I respect that compromises will have to happen). Fortunately, it's only apparent when the subject's mouth is smaller in the frame...when they're in a close-up or medium shot the smearing is very minimal (if not gone).

I'm using the latest builds of Neat and Vegas Pro 18.

Since the project is just for personal pleasure I can live with what I have but if there are any other thoughts on controls I could tweak, I'm happy to futz around with it a bit more.

Thanks again! :)
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I am not sure if you tested my suggestion regarding the Noise Level control.

It may also be worth trying: disable the Spatial Filter while tweaking the Temporal Filter settings.

Vlad
Desdinova

Post by Desdinova »

Ah! Thanks for the nudge; I completely missed the suggestion on the Noise Level control. I'll try making some changes on that as well as disabling the Temporal Filter and see what transpires.