Clipping in the X Channel

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
Bruce777

Clipping in the X Channel

Post by Bruce777 »

I am new to Neat Video and am very impressed. It's a great tool for anyone who is digitising old film.

I notice in the video example which explains how to improve a noise profile using semi-automatic and manual methods that if the area selected for noise analysis reports "Clipping in the R Channel" for example, that this is area is then rejected. Yet I think I noticed that the blue channel showed a large yellow node, suggesting the area may provide useful information for the blue noise component of a profile.

I have struck situations where clipping appears in one channel but there appears to be data available for one of the other channel. So my question is: Is it valid to accept an area with clipping in one or two channels?

Thanks
Bruce
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

It is okay to accept as long as you understand that that may reduce accuracy of measurements in those clipped channels.

Vlad
Bruce777

Post by Bruce777 »

Thanks Vlad.

So, would a suitable workflow be to first take note of the shape of the graph of a channel which has the clipping, apply the fine tuning and then manually return the previously observed graph to its position prior to applying fine tuning?

Or, alternatively, apply the fine tuning, take note of the graph for the channel/s which did not have clipping, undo the fine tuning and then manually apply the previously observed change to the channel/s which did not have clipping?

Regards
Bruce
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

That could work too. Although I personally never do that because it is usually easier to just find a suitable area without clipping. If not in this frame then in another.

Thank you,
Vlad