Processing 8 bit footage in 10-bit timeline

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
Billrey

Processing 8 bit footage in 10-bit timeline

Post by Billrey »

In Final Cut Pro X, as long as I'm using a 10-bit timeline, all the effects *should* happen in 10-bit colour space. Even if the original media is only 8bit, heavy layering of color corretion effects would have improved precision (same reason you want to use floating point colours in After Effects if you are layering many effects, even with 8-bit source media). However it's difficult to see if all the effects actually are 10 bit themselves, or if they pass on 10-bit data to the next effect in the stack.

So, my question is, does Neat Video treat 8 bit files as 10 bit when used in a 10-bit timeline? Reason I'm interested is that as Neat Video synthesizes new colours for each pixel, it could theoretically result in a pseudo 10-bit clip, and might behave slightly differently with heavy colour correction after the noise reduction.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Neat Video processes those data in 32-bit precision, so the problem should not arise to begin with.

FCPX provides 32-bit data to the plug-in, the plug-in returns 32-bit data to FCPX. That is how it looks like from the side of the plug-in.

Vlad