Deinterlacing

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
bjrohner

Deinterlacing

Post by bjrohner »

I frequently uprez my DV files to Cineform 720p for compatibility with other clips and plug-ins. When I do this I generally clean at the same time. Since I am going from interlaced to progressive, I set the FX up for 1) Smart deinterlace and 2) Neat Video (progressive). Not being real intelligent, is this the correct way to do it, or would it be better to just use Neat Video (interlaced) without a deinterlacer. I can't discern a real difference in quality either way but the deinterlace step does add a lot of time. I archive these file in this format so I of course want the best.

By the way I'm running Vegas.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

If you are going to do deinterlacing anyway (as you say, for compatibility with other clips and plug-ins) then the deinterlacing time is not factor, you anyway have to spend it. Therefore, it all depends on whether you get better results when applying NV to interlaced or progressive data. Since you don't see any noticeable difference then it means both ways are equally good.

If you can do without deinterlacing then of course you can save some time and therefore using NV without preceding deinterlacing is better, but only if don't need these clips in 720p format later anyway.

Hope this helps.
Vlad