Virtualdub YUV to Neatvideo

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
barney

Virtualdub YUV to Neatvideo

Post by barney »

The user guide for NV for Vdub indicates that "RGB data that Neat Video usually takes as input" is converted to YCrCb. What format can NV accept from Vdub other than RGB, that won't require conversion?

Previously I've worked with SD NTSC video captured and converted in real time to DV. Now I'm capturing that video, as well as HD, from a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle, and saving as either uncompressed 4:2:2 8-bit UYVY or 10-bit v210.

I notice that when leaving Vdub's video decompression format at autoselect, it always passes RGB32 to filters, but if I choose UYVY or v210 instead of autoselect, some internal filters take YUV422 input (e.g., levels, although it mangles the image) and then outputs YUV422. Other internal filters get an RGB32 input regardless of the decompression format selected. Neat Video falls into the latter category. I'm basing this on what Vdub shows me in the filters window when selecting a filter, if "show image formats" is checked.

Hopefully YCrCb and YCbCr are used interchangeably, since you specify one format and Vdub indicates the other as available formats. So just out of curiosity, what YUV format can Vdub send directly to the plugin?

I'm also wondering whether there's any reason to save in 10-bit format as far as Neat Video is concerned. Although Vdub indicates RGB32 input to the plugin, I don't know if it's discarding anything in the dummy alpha channel RGB32 format it passes to NV or if it actually retains 10-bit precision. I know the NV preview window always shows RGB 8-bit. Does NV get valid 10-bit data from Vdub RGB32 input? Any way to know?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Neat Video can receive from VirtualDub only 8-bit per channel RGB data now. Neat Video specifies its input/output capabilities to VirtualDub, so VirtualDub always send the data in a compatible format, which is RGB. So there is really no choice when Neat Video is used, only RGB.

Vlad
barney

Post by barney »

Thanks for the quick reply, Vlad. I know what format I'll capture to and what my workflow will be now. And now that you've answered that, I notice that the reference to 10-bit support that I saw applied to specific hosts only. I should really read sentences all the way to the end.