Blurriness even with filters disabled

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
mdmcnabb

Blurriness even with filters disabled

Post by mdmcnabb »

I'm using NV 4.8.5 in FCP 10.4.5 to clean up some noisy footage captured from an SD analog source into ProRes at 720x486 (non-square pixels). First I use ffmpeg to deinterlace the footage to 59.94 using the yadif and mcdeint filters, then import that into FCP for cleanup.

I have noticed that NV introduces a slight stretching of the image, causing blurriness, even when both temporal and spatial filters are disabled. Since I am trying to preserve as much detail as possible, this worries me. The stretching seems to be horizontal-only out from the center in the 720x486 case. If I also resize to square pixels in ffmpeg (to 720x535), the slight stretching occurs in both dimensions out from the upper right toward the lower left. I've also tried resetting the profile many times.

What's going on here? I can't seem to find a way to fine tune the plugin enough to preserve the original detail. I have attached a couple of stills showing a frame with and without NV enabled but with filters disabled. Thanks for your help.
Attachments
Original_frame.jpg
Original_frame.jpg (44.99 KiB) Viewed 5173 times
NV_enabled_Filters_disabled.jpg
NV_enabled_Filters_disabled.jpg (40.51 KiB) Viewed 5173 times
NVTeam

Re: Blurriness even with filters disabled

Post by NVTeam »

It is possible that FCPX itself is doing something unexpected there.
It is difficult to say without seeing a test case. Could you please prepare a small test project with one short clip in FCPX
and send it to us (exported as XML and with separately included source clip) for direct tests?
Please send the materials to support [at] neatvideo.com

Thank you,
Vlad
mdmcnabb

Re: Blurriness even with filters disabled

Post by mdmcnabb »

Thank you, I will do that tonight.