GPU issue

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
jpsdr

GPU issue

Post by jpsdr »

Hello.
Configuration : Windows7 x64, GTX950, VDub plugin 4.2.0

The last time i've done denoising, it was with previous version (don't remember if it was 4.1.4 or 4.1.3), i've created a queue of around 80 job process in VDub, each job was a 1080p video of around 25mn duration, the process ran continuously during several days without issue. I've also done several 1080p movies of 1h30 to 2h30 without issue.
It was with the previous version with the NVIDIA drivers of the moment.
As i have a dedicated PC, only VDub is running, nothing else, no other program is running.

Now, i'm using the last NVIDIA drivers.
Then, this sunday, i've queued 2 movies jobs in VDub. The 1rst end properly, but when i checked yesterday because i've begun to think it took a long time, a text windows has opened, with a lot of error messages about GPU free resource faillure, finaly saying it's switching to CPU only.
First, it's not switching. Yes, CPU was intensely used, but process was somehow stuck/locked, it didn't advance anymore, but CPU was running. VDub was stuck, i wasn't able to abort the job, i had to kill VDub.
Then, i restart the job of the second movie. Less than 15mn after, same message error, and stuck again. I reboot the PC, restart the second movie, 30mn after it was still running properly. I aborted the job, it was done properly. I've switched to something else, because didn't want to take the risk for now to waste several hours if issue occured again.
I don't understand why this is happening now, when i've done a lot more before. Is it an issue with last NVIDIA drivers ? Something changed between 4.1.3 and 4.2.0 in the GPU usage ?
Also, the switch to CPU only obsiously is not working as expected...:cry:

EDIT :
Do you know by any chance around how much of GPU memory is used by NV ? It will in the first time help me to figure out if it's just my card which didn't have enough memory, or if issue is elsewhere.
Thread number CPU around 16, 3 frames temporal, all frequencies, high quality, a little of sharpen, and nothing else.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I would try to downgrade the video driver in the first place. If that makes the render stable again, then it is likely a problem in the driver.

Then I would try to run an earlier version of Neat Video (please contact support by e-mail about that).

Regarding memory, I believe it should be under 1GB in that render situation. That should not be a problem for Neat Video because it can work with lower amounts too (there is a control in Preferences to limit the usage as well), but it may be something with the GPU driver who may struggle in a situation of low memory. If you send screenshots of those error messages (shown in console window) to support, we will try to figure out the causes.

Thank you,
Vlad
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

It seems stable reproductible for me.
As i have an ftp serveur, if needed, i can provide you the whole project (several GB), but i use DGIndexNV, which is not a freeware.
Strange, the 1rst movie and the small thing after ended without issue, but it seems that this one doesn't want at all. Don't have to wait too long, it has for now always happened before 10%.
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

I've roled back to 4.1.4, to test, but same issue at around the same time before reaching 10% of completion (around 7%).
So, i put back the 4.2.0, and decided to run GPU-Z with log enable to try to trace the issue.
And what i was afraid of occured, with GPU-Z running, issue is not occuring anymore. Project reached 15% of completion without issue (i've stopped it here) when before it always failed before even reaching 10% (always around 6% to 7%)... :cry:
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

Then run back again without GPU-Z, and reached 11% without issue (i've stopped it here). So, i'm... :?
More, GPU-Z showed a very stable memory usage of 680MB, for a 2GB card, it souldn't be an issue.
Heat issue...? GPU-Z showed a T° reaching around 70°C for GPU. But i don't know how much it was before also.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Perhaps DGIndexNV's use of GPU is somehow causing the problem for the GPU driver and eventually it fails when being used by NV itself.

If you still can reproduce the problem, please try to use a different codec (non-GPU one) to see if that is one of triggers of the problem.

Thank you,
Vlad
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

NVTeam wrote:Perhaps DGIndexNV's use of GPU is somehow causing the problem for the GPU driver and eventually it fails when being used by NV itself.

If you still can reproduce the problem, please try to use a different codec (non-GPU one) to see if that is one of triggers of the problem.

Thank you,
Vlad
... Argh !!! Very difficult, and indeed i have no idea how to do this. I've always used DGIndexNV and never had issue with it, and... only DGIndexNV. I don't have replacement.

I think i'll will let this aside for a while. Behavior i thought stable begins to become a little too much random. Don't want to spend more time on this for now.
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

I've upgraded my GT950 to a GT1060. It's something i've begin to thought about already before this issue, but this issue pushed me a little more.
The GT1060 having more memory, i've configure NV to use only 70% of memory GPU.
BTW, even if you set the memory used only to 70%, when you start the benchmark test to find the best configuration, it says it uses 100% of the GPU memory, is it normal ?
Otherwise, i've been able to finish properly without having the issue anymore, and gained a little speed... :wink:
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Have you applied the changes after setting it to 70%?

How much memory does that card have in total?

How much memory is reported by Neat Video as currently available when you just open the Preferences?

How much used memory is reported by the monitoring application at this point?

How much used memory is reported by the monitoring application when you run the speed test?

Thank you,
Vlad
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

It seems indeed that just moving the slider doesn't have effect. You have to click "Ok", it will close the "preference" menu, then re-open it, and only now the new slider value is used on the benchmark test.
It can be a little confusing, because after moving the slider, you may expect the new value will be used.