Vegas Pro: Crash when Neat Video added to event + track

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
Fifonik

Vegas Pro: Crash when Neat Video added to event + track

Post by Fifonik »

Neat Video v5 shows critical error message and then Vegas Pro 17 crashes when it is added to event and to track.
I know, the situation is silly and this should not be used in real life, however it takes quite some time to realise why VP crashed when I was adding NV5 to track. It turned out that NV5 was already added to one event on the track and this caused the crash.

To re-produce:
1. Create new VP project (I'm using 32-bit video level pixel format)
2. Drop video on time line (I'm using 1080-60p from my camcorder)
3. Save project
4. Add Neat Video 5 to event, build profile, choose filter options, Apply
5. Add Neat Video 5 to video track, build profile, choose filter options, Apply => VP crash

If you swap 4 and 5 and add Neat Video to video track first and then to event -- Neat Video will show critical message and then VP crashes.
After the crash happen, GPU become in partially unusable state and so restart required (In my case, until I restart PC, project preview and render were very slow. Probably because some GPU memory was not released).

CPU: Ryzen 3700X
GPU: RX 470 4GB, Radeon Settings 19.9.2 (the latest stable)
Windows 10, 1909
Vegas Pro 17 build 353, GPU enabled in options
Neat Video 5.1.5, CPU (8 threads from 16)+GPU, memory usage limited to 35% (value suggested by NeatVideo)

I have not checked all possible options combinations (like disabling GPU in Neat Video and/or in Vegas Pro).
Let me know if you will not be able to re-produce the issue, I'll try to investigate and find out what options are required to crash to happen.

Thanks.
Fifonik

Re: Vegas Pro: Crash when Neat Video added to event + track

Post by Fifonik »

Any feedback?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Yes, we have been able to reproduce this on our computers. This seems to be caused by a limitation present in the current version of the plug-in, which causes a failure when two instances of the effect are applied at the same time, one in a track and another in clip. We will try to lift this limitation in the future updates of the plug-in.

Kind regards,
Vlad
Fifonik

Post by Fifonik »

Thanks!