Resolve now crashing after 2nd GPU install

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
MikeR

Resolve now crashing after 2nd GPU install

Post by MikeR »

Has anyone had any issues using NV with Resolve 16 and using 2 GPUS on Windows? My original setup worked fine which was a GTX1070, had no issues with resolve other than running into VRAM issues occasionally.

I recently purchased a RTX2060 and added it to the PC as a second GPU, and resolve started crashing when going to the color tab with "The GPU failed to perform image processing because of an error, Error Code: 4". I found that if I remove the NV node and save and reopen resolve, I have no issues with doing any other GPU tasks in resolve. But as soon as I add an NV node I immediately get the GPU error. I tried forcing resolve to use both, or one GPU (didn't matter which) the error still occurs. If I go into device manager and disable the 2060, everything goes back to functioning the way it did before adding the 2nd GPU.

I have the latest NVIDIA Studio Drivers (442.19), Resolve Studio 16.1.2.026, and am using NV 5.1.9. I've also tried running Neat Bench (NV 5.1.6) and it has no problems seeing both GPUs and testing with them.

Anyone have any ideas?
NVTeam

Re: Resolve now crashing after 2nd GPU install

Post by NVTeam »

Please check the first issue described in this page.

Thank you,
Vlad
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

I am not getting a memory error when using the second GPU, just a generic "The GPU failed to perform image processing because of an error, Error Code: 4". Maybe that means a memory error, but I have experienced memory errors where resolve just flat out says that there was a GPU memory error and it is usually accompanied by Neat Video showing a console window displaying memory allocation errors. I installed the 431.86 drivers, but am still experiencing the same issue of getting the "failed to perform" error, so it leads me to think this is something different.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Perhaps it is something different. Please try to set Resolve to use one of those GPUs and also set Neat Video to use the other one. Check if that helps to prevent errors. If it doesn't, try to disable use of both GPUs in Neat Video for a test.

Thank you,
Vlad
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

So I am getting tons of inconsistent behavior, so hopefully there will be some useful information in the noise.

Setting Resolve to use the 2060 only allows me to sometimes drop the NV plugin in the chain without error and access it, but using the 1070 only for some reason causes the GPU Error message from resolve consistently. Utilizing either of the GPUs from within the plugin (I was doing a test from the preferences) immediately results in a memory allocation error, and it looks like NV is struggling in some cases to determine resources available.
NV Resolve Error.PNG
NV Resolve Error.PNG (127.25 KiB) Viewed 9874 times

The premiere version of the plugin seems to have no issue utilizing both GPUs either by themselves or working together.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

The red line under the GPU memory slider indicates the amount of GPU memory currently occupied by the host application and other applications (anything that is not Neat Video). Only 832 MB remains available (at this moment) for Neat Video to use. So you should at least limit the amount of allowed memory (the memory Neat Video is allowed to use) to that amount: move the slider out of the red area.

When the GPU driver cannot even determine the amount of free GPU memory (something went so wrong that the driver fails to do that simple task), you see that as ? mark. That indicates that the driver is struggling with that GPU for some reason.

Please try to switch Resolve from CUDA or Auto to OpenCL mode of using the GPU. That may help.

Thank you,
Vlad
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Switching to OpenCL removes the crashes, and NV has no issues seeing the resources of the cards and working, but makes Resolve unusable with no GPU acceleration.
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

I've tried different iterations of drivers and configurations and am still not able to get Resolve and Neat Video to play nicely using 2 GPUs. Is there any fix / suggestions for this? Again, this works completely fine in the Premiere Pro version of the plugin so it seems to be some interaction in the Resolve version.

I am thinking of returning the 2060 and maybe opting for another card. Does anyone have suggestions for a working dual NVIDIA GPU setup using Resolve + NV?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

In our experience, the drivers 431.86 work, while 441.xx fail.

Try to disable use of both GPUs in Neat Video and check if you can make Resolve work well in such case.
If it fails anyway, then it is most likely something with the driver or with Resolve using the driver.

Vlad
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

I had tried using CPU only in NV, and Resolve seemed to have no issues using both GPUs. At this moment I have returned the 2060 and have given up with trying to get both to work together. I am going to try replacing my 1070 with a 1080TI. I may try to use both cards just to see if there are any issues with the specific version of the 2060 I was using. It was a 2060 KO which is newer and I'm wondering if the older drivers were causing any issues.