FCP crashes and now NV is unregistered

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
DCP

FCP crashes and now NV is unregistered

Post by DCP »

Having some issues... FCP has been crashing after using NV (I also received memory errors relating to NV), and when I reboot, NV is now unregistered. I have to input the info all over again and I lose any renders.

Todd
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Please prepare a small test project showing how you use NV and, if possible, allowing to reproduce the crashes. Please pack all files (if clips are large then skip them) of the project to one zip archive and e-mail to support [at] neatvideo.com. We will check the project itself and will try to reproduce the crashes.

Also, please let us know the details about the computer hardware and version of FCP used.

Regarding losing registration, please start FCP, open NV, enter the registration data and then close NV and FCP to make sure everything is saved before any crash happens. This should resolve the registration problem.

Thank you,
Vlad
DCP

Post by DCP »

Re-registering NV always works, though it seems some of the profiles I've used need to be re-profiled. Unfortunately I'm using NV on a feature film and all of the clips are rather large. My system has had issues anyway (probably due to the Matrox MXO, and Apogee Ensemble as well as few other plug-in's (Sapphire) that have had issues). The biggest issue (and crash caused by NV) is that I get an error code that states that NV does not have the memory resources it needs; this window just keeps popping up and the only way is to Force Quit from FCP. The next time this happens I'll try to copy all of the info given in the box.

My system is this:
Mac Pro 2 x 3.2 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 18 GB ram, running FCP 6.0.5, Quicktime Pro 7.6 and OSX 10.5.6

Thanks Todd
DCP

Here is the Error Message

Post by DCP »

ERROR!

Line: 180
Function: Malloc
Error: Neat Video cannot get free memory block from the operating system (or plug-in host).
(3456000-byte memory block is requested from: 905b22a1)

Please make more memory available for application and retry.

Once again, I have 18GB ram. I have more than enough ram available. Perhaps FCP has a RAM limit and can only use so much ram?
DCP

Post by DCP »

Just read on a thread that FCP can only take 2.5gb ram... This stinks.

Hopefully this can be addressed by Apple with FCS3?

UPDATE: This is true. In FCP it only allows up to 100% of 2560MB ram).
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

FCP is a 32-bit application, so it is anyway limited by something like 2.5-3GB. I do expect newer versions to be 64-bit and therefore able to use all those GBs that you have installed.

Please try to reduce the amount of system memory given to FCP. If more memory remains free then OSX may be able to provide it to NV when it is needed for processing.

Also, please try to disable multiprocessor support in NV Options (more cores use more memory).

Thank you,
Vlad
DCP

Post by DCP »

Hi Vlad,

Good points. I will do this.

Thanks!

Todd