Final Cut Pro 7 crashes running out of memory

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
daisermac

Final Cut Pro 7 crashes running out of memory

Post by daisermac »

Just purchased the newest release of Neatvideo 2.6 for FCP. While I am pleased with the optical results, it crashes FCP several times a day, running out of memory. There is a pop-up notifying me that "malloc" could not get the requested memory, and when I click the OK-Button, the same pop-up reappears forever. Unfortunately this popup blocks access to FCP, I cannot save my work or do anything else but clicking endlessly on OK-buttons. So I have to force-quit FCP.

By the way the system-memory monitor shows that there is still 2 GB of available ram-memory.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Please try to reduce the amount of system memory given to FCP:

Preferences > System Settings > Memory & Cache > Application

By default, it is usually set to 100%. Please try to reduce to something like 60-70%. If this doesn't help please let me know.

Thank you,
Vlad
daisermac

Post by daisermac »

Thank you for the very quick reply. Unfortunately, reducing the memory to 70% did not do the trick.

Now I have a short sequence (24 sec.) with a 1080p clip that brings up the pop-up every time I open it. It has a single clip in it, that got externally renamed and then reconnected. Neatvideo is the only filter applied to it, it is video only and there are no motion settings. It rendered successfully when I first applied the filter, but now it always crashes FCP.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

This is strange. Please restart FCP, close any earlier projects in it, create a new one with just this one clip, save the project (this is important) and try to apply Neat Video to the clip. If the problem is reproducable please send me this test project for analysis. If the problem is reproducable on our computers then we can find a solution much faster.

Thank you,
Vlad
daisermac

Post by daisermac »

This will for sure not reproduce the problem. As I wrote above, it worked without a problem when I first applied the filter to the clip. And yesterday I had many occasions where the malloc-failure came up, that where unrelated to this special case.

It does not bother me, that Neatvideo fails on one or the other occasion - we all do. It bothers me that it tears down the whole FCP into the abyss. Can't there be a better solution than firing endless pop-ups at the user?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

In principle something can be done to avoid such a lock up. This is not simple but we will try to improve that in the newer versions.

Regarding the problem itself, I believe the situation when there is not enough memory for the plug-in shouldn't arise so easily, so I was wondering perhaps there is something unusual in the clip parameters or in project settings that cause this error. It may not necessarily be a lack of memory, it may be just some wrong data in the project file like extremely large frame dimensions that are impossible to fit into memory. The solution then would not to increase the available memory but to fix the project data. That's why I would like to be able to directly reproduce the issue on our computers, to see what exactly is triggering the problem.

Thank you,
Vlad