Using Matrox MXO2 with Final Cut Pro & neat video for 10

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
bajaecotours

Using Matrox MXO2 with Final Cut Pro & neat video for 10

Post by bajaecotours »

Firstly, great product and really love the cleanup that NV can do to footage with noise. HATE the time it takes to crunch video, but for now i'm dealing with it.

My main question here is that I know NV can work in 10bit. I want to take advantage of it while working through my MXO2.

MY setup:
MacPro 8core, 32gigs ram with matrox video card out to plasma tv via HDMI for 10bit viewing on my plasma. I use the MATROX easy setup in FCP which runs sequence timeline as prores 422 HQ @ 23.98 & 29.97 fps and of course my video out of matrox is to plasma. I of course get viewing on the FCP viewer as well.
>>>BUT, how can i utilize 10bit out via my matrox video card with NV? How can i set this up. Or is this just not possible and it utilizes only 8bit via FCP? how does NV detect video out? and HOW can or what can you recommend for 10bit color work and NV?

Thanks,
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

There is only way to control that, and it is located in FCP itself, it Sequence Settings: menu Sequence > Settings > Video Processing, then a choice of 4 rendering precision options. If you select "Render 10-bit material in high-precision YUV" or "Render all YUV material in high-precision YUV" then FCP will do actual rendering high precision (10 and more bits), and so will do Neat Video (please note that you need the Pro version of Neat Video for that).

Also, do not worry if you still see "8-bit" note in the bottom of the main Neat Video window (available via the Options... button). FCP always gives an 8-bit image to that window, but actual rendering is done in precision determined by the above setting, so if you select "Render all YUV material in high-precision YUV" then it will be rendered in high precision, including the part of the rendering done by Neat Video.

I recommend to experiment with the above precision setting to see which one gives you the best visual quality and acceptable rendering time (more precision may be slower). Also, in some cases, 8-bit RGB can provide less banding in FCP, according to my observations, this seems to be a feature of FCP itself.

Vlad
bajaecotours

Post by bajaecotours »

Yes, I already have that selected. Since I noticed within the effect of NV it shows at the bottom 8bit that had me concerned.

SO....as long as i have 10bit selected in the SEQUENCE settings then NV is actually working in 10bit?
Thanks,
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

FCP will work in higher bitdepth, and NV will follow FCP.

Vlad
bajaecotours

Post by bajaecotours »

got it. thanks Vlad