Vegas 10e crashing with Demo version of Neat Video

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
crocdoc

Vegas 10e crashing with Demo version of Neat Video

Post by crocdoc »

Hi, I'm looking for a good denoising plug-in. Although I've heard some good things about Neat Video, I am unable to get it to work with Vegas 10e 64 bit. When I click 'apply' in the pop-up window it simply causes Vegas to hang, without fail, and the only way for me to continue working is to force-quit Vegas and start again. I've yet to have it work even once. Scanning through the forums and doing a quick online search suggests that this isn't an uncommon problem.

I've tried it with several different video sources (AVCHD .m2ts files, Canon .MOV files, HDV .m2t files, SD .avi files) and different project settings, from very low resolution to high resolution.

Is this a bug with the demo because of its restricted pixel area? If so, how do I know it will work if I get the full version, without being able to test it?

I'm using a laptop with i7 and 8gb RAM
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

This sounds like an effect of Bitdefender. Do you use the Bitdefender antivirus?

Vlad
crocdoc

Post by crocdoc »

Bingo! I certainly am using bitdefender. I gather it's a common problem, then? Is there a work-around or should I just wait until my bitdefender licence is up and change antivirus programs (if not sooner)?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

You can disable Bitdefender antivirus selectively for Neat Video, this should stop Bitdefender from causing this problem.

Here is an approximate instruction on how to selectively disable it for Neat Video:

1. Open Bitdefender in expert view (Click on options at top right of Bitdefender window and select expert view)
2. Click on antivirus tab
3. Click on exclusions tab along the top
4. Click on "+" sign, "exclude by file/folder path", "Next" and browse to Neat Video plug-in: C:\Program Files\Neat Video for Sony Vegas\NeatVideoSV.dll, and click"Add"
5. Now go back to antivirus "shield" tab
6. Click on "Advanced Settings", then "Exclusions" and "+"
7. Browse to Neat Video plug-in again and click on "Open" followed by "OK"
8. You should be done now.

Please let me know if it works.

Thank you,
Vlad

P.S. Uninstalling Bitdefender would also work.
crocdoc

Post by crocdoc »

Thanks for that, Vlad.

Unfortunately it's still hanging until I do a force-quit.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Have you completed all steps? No problems in any of them?

You can also try to add the plug-in to the list of games in Bitdefender. It is another, perhaps easier way to make it leave the plug-in alone.

Vlad
crocdoc

Post by crocdoc »

Yes, I followed all of the steps without difficulty (and learned a fair bit about bitdefender in the process, so my sincere thanks for that!). The only difference from your instruction was that in the 'shield' step I selected the .exe file rather than the .dll file, for that was the only option available.

I've also tried selecting the whole folder to stop bitdefender from scanning it, rather than just the .dll and .exe files.

I couldn't find any game exclusion function which allows one to select individual games, just a 'game-mode' on/off function (to prevent the anti-virus from scanning or doing any other resource intensive activity). I've tried it in game mode, but that didn't solve the problem, either.

When it hangs, the Neat Video pop-up window says 'Profiling -100%' at the top, but 'profile not ready' in red, to the right. I've tried using native progressive footage, interlaced video and interlaced video with project settings on progressive, with Neat Video configured accordingly with each one, always with the same result.
crocdoc

Post by crocdoc »

Figured it out!

I followed your advice for the plug-in and then applied it to Vegas in general (ie set exclusions in bitdefender to ignore the Vegas .exe file, main Vegas .dll file, as well as the whole Vegas folder) and managed to get it to work!

Thanks for your help.