GPU crash on Mac Pro / GTX 580

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
blacksmoke

GPU crash on Mac Pro / GTX 580

Post by blacksmoke »

I've recently upgraded my system, adding a new GTX 580 to it. I'm running Lion 10.7.3 on a 2x2,26GHz Quad core Xeon Mac Pro (8GB Ram).

I also have a Nvidia GT120 in the same machine, it was the original card, and I kept it to work with Davinci Resolve.

The driver is the latest I could find, which allows any GTX card to run on a mac, which wasn't possible until now. This NOT a hack.

See the driver here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-270 ... river.html

I've also updated the CUDA driver to 4.2.7.

The benchmark/optimize functions in NV report this error as soon as I choose a mode involving GPU (CPU+GPU or GPU Alone):

"GPU error at GeForce GTX 580 (0): Unknown error (999) in getDeviceMemory(.)"

I tried with only the GTX580 and also only with the GT120: same result.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Thank you for reporting this issue, we are working on it. If we will need additional details I will contact you by e-mail.

Thank you,
Vlad
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

In a similar case, another user of NV for AE Mac has reported that enabling the "Use OpenGL Renderer" option (in the Render Settings dialog in After Effects' Render Queue) helped to resolve the same problem on a machine with two video cards installed. Could you try that on your machine please?

Vlad
blacksmoke

You're right!

Post by blacksmoke »

You rock Vlad!

I tried your workaround, and the benchmark went okay, I didn't render but I guess that's what the benchmark does .

I saw news of CS6 yesterday, Premiere's Mercury engine should be part of AE from now on, I hope you can do something so that NV can rely on it or at least share the gpu with it.

I'm already quite satisfied though!