Question on Render times.

resolve technical issues related to use of Neat Video
Solarsailor

Question on Render times.

Post by Solarsailor »

Hi there,

I installed the trial version of this last night. It seems to be a really great product. After various trials though it seems like it will take an eternity to render. I trialed probably about 8 scenes inside a short film I'm making. It's 4 minutes long. The film is made from DSLR footage shot on a Canon 60D at 1080p - 24fps.

After about 10-15 minutes I'd processed 1% of my video. Making a rough guess I'd say I'd be looking at multiple hours of render time for my 4 minute clip. My encoding was in h.264 - 1 pass and changed the ratio down to 1280 x 720 (from 1080)

Is this what I should expect? Or are there way's to stream line the process? I'm fairly new to the editing world.

My Laptop runs a Haswell i7 4700HQ, 16GB of Ram and has a 1TB drive which includes a 256GB SSD from where my programs run. It has a also has a 4GB Nvidea graphics card. This machine I'd consider mid to high end so I'm assuming it's not my rig.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I would expect faster rendering. Anyway, which editing application do you use?

Also, please open Neat Video's main window (where you build a noise profile for your clip) and then go to menu Tools > Preferences > Performance > Optimize and run the test there. Please post the results (the whole log from that window) here.

Thank you,
Vlad
Solarsailor

Post by Solarsailor »

NVTeam wrote:I would expect faster rendering. Anyway, which editing application do you use?

Also, please open Neat Video's main window (where you build a noise profile for your clip) and then go to menu Tools > Preferences > Performance > Optimize and run the test there. Please post the results (the whole log from that window) here.

Thank you,
Vlad

I'm using Premier Pro CC.

I'll try that test tonight. The only other thing that I thought is that I'm editing from the native files straight off the camera (no converting). Would that effect it this much?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

That could in principle affect the speed of Premiere who reads those clips. Neat Video itself just processes what Premiere gives it, so if Premiere reads those files slowly then the overall render is slow too.

Vlad
Zach

Post by Zach »

Take note if you are also rendering directly out to H.264/AVC then that will likely also drastically reduce your speed.

encoding eats a lot of CPU, especially when encoding in HD. I always render to a lossless intermediate file, and then encode that file with x264.

My renders through Vdub usually take about 45m to 1 hour for a typical 24 - 26 minute clip.
Fifonik

Post by Fifonik »

If you use 2 passes encoding the NeatVideo will do its job twice. It could be a bit time expensive so with long clips it's a good idea to render in lossless and then transcode to destination format.