Support higher bit depth in VirtualDub plugin.

suggest a way to improve Neat Video
jpsdr

Re: Support higher bit depth in VirtualDub plugin.

Post by jpsdr »

Personnaly, i just begun to see how integrate >8 bits support on VDub2.
Have you talked with shekh about 16 bits support ? As i begins to see how to do things, i've exchange a little with him.
Short story, if you don't know : His intend is to support dynamic bitdepth change, in avisynth you have fixed bitdepth.
Actualy, you have the range (or bitdepth) by checking the values of ref_r/g/b/a field of FilterModPixmapInfo struc, these values can change from one frame to another.
For now, if you don't want to have to deal with dynamic bitdepth, you have to request FILTERPARAM_NORMALIZE16 in the return of Getparam, this way, you'll always be on 16bits, and ref_r/g/b/a will always be at 0xFFFF.
Nevertheless, he's thinking of adding something like a bitdepth parameter, if 0 => Dynamic bitdepth, ortherwise, fixed. This could allow to have 10,12 for exemple fixed bitdepth, but this will be in the future.
If you allready knew this, sorry for the useless noise.

I've successfully been able to rip my first UHD Blu-Ray, as it's an old movie, there is some noise and grain. But... It's HDR.
Are you interested with a sample ?

BTW, good news 8)
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

We studied the new documentation and saw how CrossFade and Levels currently work with 16-bit data.
We also set FILTERPARAM_NORMALIZE16 in our test builds, because we need full-range 16 bit input.

At this point in our testing process, we need some actual video samples that require such processing.
We are testing a custom build of the plug-in with 16-bit support in our labs. If you can help with some
short clips that you already process in VD2 in high bidepth, then we could check the same clips from our side
and then also ask you to do the same from your side.

Thank you,
Vlad
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

I've send you at support informations to get a sample, hope it could be usefull.
Just out of curiosity, as actualy plugin support only RGB32, will this new version support "only" RGBA64 or also others formats ?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Thank you for sending the clip. It generally works but it looks like FILTERPARAM_NORMALIZE16 doesn't make any difference with this clip.

We are testing RGB64 and do not plan any other formats at this point.
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

I don't have anything else, but for safety in your case, FILTERPARAM_NORMALIZE16 is mandatory. My advise (if even needed :roll:) would be to keep it, and not trying to remove it. Like this, you're sure of your data whatever evolution may be in the future.
RGB64 "only" is perfectly fine.

Thanks for your good work and improvment. NeatVideo still rocks !!! 8)
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

Any rought ETA for the release ? From what i've understood, pinterf helped you finalise it to have also it working fine under avs+ in both x86 and x64.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

The testing by pinterf is still continuing but the results so far are optimistic. We will likely include this in the next regular update, probably this Fall.

Vlad
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

Thanks for the new version with VDub2 and 16 bits support.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Hope it works well with VD2 in your tasks. If you encounter any issues, please let us know.

Thank you,
Vlad
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

VDud2 added planar float RGB support.

Unless i've misunderstood
You support float mode on others software, meaning the core of the filter can work in float mode, and so nothing prevent to add now support for this mode, as both VDub2 and avisynth support RGB float mode.

Do you intend to add it in the future ? (not right now, of course)
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

It looks like they added initial internal support for float mode in VD. I am not sure if this support already covers input/export and filter interfaces. We will watch that and will certainly try to use that if the functionality becomes available to plug-ins. Neat Video itself can indeed work with float data but it needs the host application to support that too.

Thank you,
Vlad
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

NVTeam wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:32 am I am not sure if this support already covers input/export and filter interfaces.
Yes it does, the following is now added in vdplugin.h

Code: Select all

kPixFormat_RGB_Planar = 80,
		kPixFormat_RGB_Planar16 = 81,
		kPixFormat_RGB_Planar32F = 82,
		kPixFormat_RGBA_Planar = 83,
		kPixFormat_RGBA_Planar16 = 84,
		kPixFormat_RGBA_Planar32F = 85,
Also, see http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p ... ost1883094
and the answer just after.