Global Disable

suggest a way to improve Neat Video
gordonmcdowell

Global Disable

Post by gordonmcdowell »

Am using PPro. In project, have NV applied to many video clips.

Editing/preview with NV enabled is slow. So to edit fast, I need to disable NV but sometimes this is on a great many clips (and I think I'm using multi-cam properly... I'm not applying it to tiny fragments just each camera source but there are still lots of sources).

Then I want to render (thinking any given iteration might be the last) so must re-enable NV on all used source angles again.

Should I not be able to flip a global boolean (perhaps accessable via any one clip using NV) which will disable NV across entire project? I mean I don't really care what the UI would be, just so long as I could get it done.

Thanks for any help... if I can do this and don't see it please point it out.

-Gord
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Unfortunately that is not currently possible because neither NV itself nor Premiere offer a way to globally disable all instances of any specific filter.

The way I see it, the ideal place for that global switch would be in the host application itself - somewhere in Premiere UI. Unfortunately that is not likely to happen.

We could add a switch in NV itself and make it work across all instances of NV in all projects (or perhaps in the current project only). The main question is where to place such a switch. The problem is that if you disable NV using that switch, then put aside the project for a while, then re-open it again after a few weeks and see that the filter is not applying any noise reduction, you may simply not remember that you had disabled the filter and need to re-enable it again. So unless that switch is very easy to find and to recognize that it is disabled (so it has to be re-enabled again), having such an option might cause a problem of its own: user who forgot about disabling the filter might think that the filter is somehow not working or broken.

So we need to find the 100% right place in UI to put that switch. Moreover, it has to be a place that is the same across all versions of Neat Video (for all 20+ host applications that we support).

Vlad
gordonmcdowell

UI idea?

Post by gordonmcdowell »

thanks for fast response. good to know I'm not just missing seeing it.

Maybe a running instance of NV is aware of some attributes of project and/or program?

If it was an NV disabler (that was a UI independent of the editors) which showed all operating instances of NV... sort of like an NV Task Manager.

It could show...

App | Project | Disable
PPro | Silly video project | [ ]
Sony Vegas | Dumb video project | [ ]
Sony Vegas | Great video project | [x]

...and by checking that box on "Great video project" I've told all the NV instances in that project to disable. And if the NV Disabler stops running (or is never launched) then no NV is disabled... so you can't forget that it is all disabled.

No idea of course if this is feasible. But if you try tackle it might be a great way to show other stuff like a graph of CPU load dedicated to NV. Memory consumption. Dashboardy kind of stuff I'd be curious to see, to identify what NV needs to work faster.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Thank you for the ideas. Some of that is not really possible (like displaying which project in which host application is using NV) but the idea of having a standalone disabler app is certainly valid and could be used. We will consider this as we work on newer versions of NV that will hopefully offer some simple and easy to use solution.

Thank you again.

Vlad
Fifonik

Post by Fifonik »

I asked almost the same sometime ago:
http://www.neatvideo.com/nvforum/viewtopic.php?t=772

It should not be too hard to implement this feature.
I think it should be 2 checkboxes in NeatVideo options (Preferences | General)

[ ] Disable all instances of NeatVideo
  [x] Add watermark when it is disabled

By default the 1st option should be unchecked (so NeatVideo is enabled) and the 2nd option is checked and enabled (but not active as the 1st option is unchecked).
If somebody check the 1st option all instances of NeatVideo are disabled and it will add watermark (something like 'NeatVideo is disabled in preferences' in corner) that should not be resource expensive. People who disable NeatVideo in preferences will see this waterwark and can re-enable it.
People who remember what they doing can uncheck the second option and rid off the watermark if they like to do so.

You can add more options if you have nothing important to do. For example you can allow to define position of watermark and the watermark's text.
sijimo

Post by sijimo »

I had the same problem, and even made a feature request to Adobe. No response, as usual. But, here is what you can do:

1. Save and close your project, quit Premiere.
2. Go to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore
3. find NeatVideo.prm filter and move it somewhere else

4. Launch Premiere again and open your project
5. It will argue that Reduce Noise filter is missing - (we don't care about that)
6. Make your blazing fast edits, and when the project is ready to render
put NeatVideo.prm back and restart Premiere.

All of the instances of "Reduce Noise" will be back in place and working correct!

But for sure, Ģlobal disable "selected filter" and "all filters" from Adobe would be super nice. Most audio sequencers had this feature for years, and they are far less CPU intensive ;) Please also make a feature request to Adobe, they don't ususally react to "just one" request
stevefal

Post by stevefal »

I came here to suggest the same thing, and found this post.

I'm not sure if people understand how critical this feature is for some. Not being able to bypass the effect globally generally leads me from using the plug-in. Either render time is destroyed or I have to go through every clip and enable/disable, which is inconvenient, slow and error prone.

I would think a separate utility app "Neat Video Disabler" that implements (or acts as) a system-level semaphore could do the trick. When the app is running, NV bypasses, and when the app stops running, NV goes back to normal. I think this approach would avoid a support disaster.

Maybe use file lock as semaphore mechanism to ensure release when the app exits/dies.