OpenCL support on Macbook Pro (Intel Iris Pro 5200)

suggest a way to improve Neat Video
tommy_99

OpenCL support on Macbook Pro (Intel Iris Pro 5200)

Post by tommy_99 »

Hello,

until now, no support for Intel GPU's in Neat Video for OpenCL is integrated.

Since Apple decided to include the Intel Iris Pro (into Macbook Pro up from 2014) the OpenCL performance has outperforms many other dedicated graphic cards.

See comparison 2 (OpenCL) from
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/inte ... -tested/17

Could you please activate the OpenCL support for this Intel Iris Pro 5200 and the Intel Iris Pro 6200 GPU's in OSX for FCP.

Thanks in advance
Tom
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Thank you for your suggestion.

We will evaluate the potential speed of these new GPUs in Neat Video algorithms. It is not necessarily going to be faster than the speed of the corresponding CPU itself. Those mobile GPUs mentioned in the linked article were about the same fast or slower (in Neat Video algorithms) than the corresponding CPUs used in the Macbook Pro's in recent years.

Thank you,
Vlad
tommy_99

Post by tommy_99 »

Vlad,

if you need support for testing i would be happy to support you (I should have today recived the licence for Neat Video for FCPx).

The main reason i wrote this, is that it seem that this Iris Pro GPU's seems to be OpenCL monsters, designed to fulfill Apple needs (Based on the previos link and other OpenCL benchmarks that i got from net).

Hope you come back with good results soon.

Best regards
Tom
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Tom,

FCPX computing needs are really not that significant as compared with Neat Video computing needs, so I would not be very hopeful at this point. Iris is an alternative to low-end discrete GPUs, but certainly not to high-end GPUs, while only high-end GPUs can apply Neat Video significantly faster (say 2-4 times) than fast CPUs at this point. So it is possible that Iris will be just about as fast as its CPU, or slower.

Anyway, thank you for offering your help. We will keep that in mind for future testing.

Kind regards,
Vlad