Support higher bit depth in VirtualDub plugin.

suggest a way to improve Neat Video
jpsdr

Support higher bit depth in VirtualDub plugin.

Post by jpsdr »

You may not follow, but avisynth and VDub are still evolving, begining to handle 16 bits and float for avisynth, and some 16 bits formats for VDub.
You can check from https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php? ... 6&page=141 and from https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172021&page=7.
It's a great thing you offer VDub plugin, but you may begin to consider the possibility that Avery Lee may not return to work on the "original" version, and not blind to other people versions who continue to improve from the point Averly Lee left VDub. VirtualDubMod and avs+ in this case.
From what i've understood from others programs plugins, your core filter can work with more than 8 bits data. Avisynth and VDub have been improved in that case, it could be nice if your VDub filter version can follow these improvements.
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

So...???
Any feedbak ?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Thank you for the suggestion. We will take a look at these new branches to see if those are ready for such development and if we can support that from our side.

Thank you,
Vlad
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

Nothing immediate, of course, but just begining as you said, to take a look and thinking at the possibility.
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

Hello.
I've seen some big changes in the new version, and the support of VirtualDub Modfilter, thanks for this step improvement.
What exactly have you added ? Have you added deep color support ? If yes, is it possible to know exactly what color modes have you added ?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

It was not possible to select a frame and open our window in VirtualDub Modfilter earlier. Now that is possible and the filter can work now.

There were no changes about bit depth yet.

Thank you,
Vlad
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

Ok.
Thanks for the 1rst step and begining support.
lansing

Post by lansing »

Any update on this?

I really feel the need for this now because for anime, we need 10 bit denoising + 10 bit encoding to make sure that there were no banding on flat areas.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

The last time we checked VirtualDub Mod, the support for 10-bit data was very incomplete, so we decided to give the developers some time to work it out.

Thank you,
Vlad
Lugarimo

Post by Lugarimo »

From what I understand, NV works in RGB32 which is 32-bit no?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

It works with the data provided by the host application. If the host provides 8-bit data, then we have 8-bit data to work with, regardless of what the filter itself is capable of supporting. If the host supplies 32-bit data (for example Premiere does that), then NV supports that.

Vlad
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

NVTeam wrote:The last time we checked VirtualDub Mod, the support for 10-bit data was very incomplete, so we decided to give the developers some time to work it out.

Thank you,
Vlad
It's VirtualDubFilterMod now which continue the work of Avery Lee. You can check it http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=172021, and the support for more than 8 bits data is here. The only thing is that for now, it seems that except the author himself (shekh), nobody has made >8 bit VDud filters. But on avisynth+, not all of course, but now a lot of filters has been ported to support >8 bit data.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

> It's VirtualDubFilterMod now

Yes, that's why I meant. Thank you for clarifying.

Vlad
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

That's odd that saying that 10 bits support is very incomplete.
From what i've checked, because i intend to port some of my VDub filters to >8 bits, everything is in place to do it. But of course, there is only up to 16 bits support, there is no 32 bits float support, like there is on avs+, but there is RGBA64 => RGB with 16 bits data.
What part is incomplete ?
Have you contacted Shekh about a specific missing need ? I don't think he has long range telepathy, so if you don't ask, it's not sure he will think about what is missing, if for him, the structure for support is properly in place.
NVTeam

Re: Support higher bit depth in VirtualDub plugin.

Post by NVTeam »

We have been testing 16-bit support in VD2 and we would like to ask you send us (support [at] neatvideo.com) some sample clips where 16-bit support makes a difference. That can help us to add support for 16-bit data in VD2 as well.

Thank you,
Vlad