Can Neat remove projector screen artifacts?

suggest a way to improve Neat Video
Darrell

Can Neat remove projector screen artifacts?

Post by Darrell »

Great product!

Question

Will Neat clean artifacts in frames that do not change in any way. IE, I recently tranfered old 8mm film to video by shooting the projection screen. It was not possible at the time to make the screen completely invisible. I have frames of just the screen, no picture info, so I have a perfect template to remove. Neats temporal filters remove noise that appears only for a frame or two... but can Neat temporal filters perform the complete opposite, removing artifacts that that never move. Watching the transfered film is like looking through a slightly opaque flyscreen.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Neat Image noise reduction targets noise, typically random noise that changes over time and within each video frame. It will not be able to remove the details than never change, because they are not noise.

You may want to try manually subtract the blank screen image from one frame in an image editor to see if this produces a good result. If it does then I guess it should be possible to somehow automate that process during regular rendering.

Vlad
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Thanks for the quick respone Vlad.

I have had limited success taking the "blank" image... inverting it and dissolving it over the moving picture... to lighten the darker areas on my project. The changing levels make it less than perfect. maybe I will try some type of "key"

I have also tried treating the "haze" as if it were a watermark with no success yet.

I know my issues it not really noise... but because Neat works so well... I was just hoping...
Lugarimo

Post by Lugarimo »

Darrell, I don't know if I understand you right, but you may be interested in MSU's Logo Remover. You mask the areas you want removed and it tries its best, but it is not perfect and they will soon make a new version.
(I also notice many of these websites dealing with video enhancement are Russian. What is it with them being so good with technology?)
Darrell

still trying to remove visible projector screen

Post by Darrell »

I know, months have gone by, but, I'm still trying to clean up 8mm film "screen artifact"

I have tried logo removers with no success, here is a little sample I have uploaded to youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqR9vIQN8DE

Any ideas?
bony

Post by bony »

For this purpose it is possible to use theprogram VidCrop PRO.