Enhancing autoprofile

suggest a way to improve Neat Video
Lugarimo

Enhancing autoprofile

Post by Lugarimo »

Recently, I messed around with a video with medium noise, found the most uniform frame I could find and pressed the autoprofile button. It selected the best 32x32 area with a rating of around 55%. I was not satisfied with the number, so I manually selected an area (about 64x32) and I got a rating of 60%, then I messed around more and more, did my best to make the selection as large as possible without running into clippings/problems etc. I ended up with a rating of 69%.

You should reprogram autoprofile to search for areas not only with a selection size of 32x32 or 128x128 but a wide range of sizes. In my case, the 14% improved noticeably helped the quality, and maybe if my suggestion was implemented, NeatVideo might've found an even better area with a rating of over 70%.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

It is better to use larger areas indeed. However it is not always possible to find the largest area automatically. Human eyes are better at this job.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Vlad
Lugarimo

Post by Lugarimo »

However it is not always possible to find the largest area automatically.
Why not? If I understand right, autoprofile works currently by testing a 32x32 area (let's assume our resolution is 320x240) on location 1x1, then 1x2, 1x3...........until it reaches 288x208 and sticks with whichever received the best rating. However, I'm proposing that after it's done with 32x32 it should evaluate the frame with 32x33, 32x34, all sizes until it reaches 128, and additionally: make it stop bruteforcing after the ratings aren't getting any better with increasing size, to not waste cycles. I think it's a good idea, no?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

In theory yes, but in practice it would be quite slow..

Vlad
Lugarimo

Post by Lugarimo »

Why? It's only one frame. If the autoprofile would also bruteforce (autosearch) proceeding frames then THAT would be slow, but still useful for people willing to use it.