Debanding of horizontal and vertical lines

suggest a way to improve Neat Video
butler360

Debanding of horizontal and vertical lines

Post by butler360 »

I have a GH1 and have been playing around with the Neat Video demo for Premiere 64-bit. It seems to work really well for noise, but for CMOS vertical (and sometimes horizontal) streaks, the noise reduction required to get rid of those seems like overkill. You can see an example and discussion of this issue here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.ph ... al-banding

Here's an example from my own video:

Nik Dfine 2.0 has a debanding feature for their image noise reduction software. It works amazingly well. You can see it in action here: http://www.mu-43.com/f74/nik-dfine-band ... oval-1859/

What they don't have is a video version. So what I would love to see is either an option or even a profile that specifically targets these vertical and horizontal streaks, sometimes called banding, sometimes not. It would be nice to have the option to get rid of the more usual noise as well, but that kind of noise usually doesn't ruin a shot while this streaking does.

If you could do that I would instantly buy it! And I'm sure it would be popular with others over at DVXUser and really with anyone with a camera with a CMOS sensor prone to streaking.

If you need footage to work with just let me know and I can send you whatever you need.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Thank you for the suggestion. We will certainly consider this idea. Could you send a couple of sample clips (unprocessed originals from camera) to support [at] neatvideo.com, we will analyze the banding and see what could in principle be done.

Thank you,
Vlad
butler360

Post by butler360 »

Just sent the email. Thanks!
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Thank you, we will study the samples.

Vlad
butler360

Post by butler360 »

Great!
curious

Post by curious »

I could send another extrem case of vertical banding on SD footage (MiniDV camcorder) .... just in case it helps to further improve the product ...

Should I?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Thank you, I will let you know if it be needed.

You may want to try processing it as it is, using the current version of Neat Video. Build a noise profile using an area that includes those bands and see if filter then removes them.

Vlad
the doc

Post by the doc »

Exact same feelings here - i got neat video specifically looking for this improvement - it does help the banding a wee bit - but not nearly enough.

The banding is so uniform that I feel sure that there would be a way to eliminate it with the right algorithm./

You would immediately sell a copy to every gh1 user out there :)
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

I've got once something with similar problem, but, as it's something somehow static, my feeling was that it didn't have the criteria to be considered noise by NV, and so, it's not removed. We are here relatively "away" from "standard" noise.
gordonmcdowell

I'd also like to see de-banding

Post by gordonmcdowell »

Hey I've got a bunch of Aiptek 720p cameras I use for b-roll. Quality is generally poor, so I don't expect miracles. But if there was a denoise option specifically targeted at removing the vertical bands resulting from (what I can only imagine is) CMOS sensor plus heavy compression.

Will email Vlad with a short sample.