Final Cut Pro X 10.0.1 - finally a base for Neat?

suggest a way to improve Neat Video
valleo

Final Cut Pro X 10.0.1 - finally a base for Neat?

Post by valleo »

A long time you wrote that FCPX 10.0 is not capable of being a good basement for the neat plugin because of some missing features and bugs. But now there's the first update.
Is this, finally, the right basement for Neat?
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

We are looking into this update to see if the bugs were fixed. There are some initial indications that they were not. Moreover, it looks like they added some problems to Motion too..

We are working on this now, stay tuned.

Vlad
blacksmoke

Anything new

Post by blacksmoke »

Hey Vlad! How are you? Anything new about your progress with FCPX version coding? Any hope? Because Apple's next update seems to be planned around January or so...And I'm looking for a workflow involving FCPX and Neat Video, maybe in after effects, without any loss of quality.

I found a script named Foolcut that can do a pretty good job converting an fcpx timeline to an AE composition. But it's not free and it would mean I'd have to pay for a third Neat Video license (I already purchased 2.7 for both FCP when motion 5 support was added, and I have one for Premiere so that I can use Neat Video along with some plugins from other developers that aren't available either for FCPX)

If you think a proper FCPX version can't be coded at this time, can you suggest an smart workflow so that I can edit in fcpx and still use Neat Video in another app? I believe roundtripping with Motion 5 isn't possible at this time.

Anyway keep up the good work, your plugin is really magic!
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

We have been able to compensate for that new problem in Motion and the current version of the FCP plug-in works well in Motion 5 and 5.0.1.

FCPX itself remains buggy (the update made it worse in this respect) and not capable of using plug-ins like Neat Video. Mostly because some features required by the plug-in are still missing in this version of FCP and also because even if they were available, the bugs in FCPX would make using the plug-in next to impossible (filter settings of each instance of the filter would not be preserved by FCPX when you restart it). These issues still need to be addressed by Apple.

Regarding possible workflow workarounds.. The best solution is to ask Apple to provide one. If Motion is supposed to be integrated well with FCPX, Apple must be able to offer a way to use them together. If Apple cannot offer a solution, that will, hopefully, highlight (for Apple) the weak points in FCPX/Motion that they need to address.

If you want to use FCPX as your main editor, I think it makes sense to simply pre-denoise the original footage using Motion 5, save the output into lossless (or using a codec offering high-quality lossy compression) format and then use these clean versions of the clips as the sources for edits in FCPX. With such an approach, it would be about the same efficient with either Motion 5 or AE, so I would use Motion if I was in your place.

Hope this helps,
Vlad
blacksmoke

Post by blacksmoke »

Thanks Vlad. When you say lossless, what do you mean? I'm a noob in the world of video editing and I'm not yet familiar with the available formats. Would Apple prores 4.4.4 do the trick (that's what I currently use as a conversion format from my DSLR)?

Is there a way that I could work with proxies first to do a rough edit in FCPX? I mean to denoise in Motion I still have to know which files I'm gonna choose during the edit. Or else I'm gonna have waste time/cpu to denoise everything, even the files that I won't end up using eventually.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

I think ProRes444 will be fine (not lossless, but good enough). Anyway, I am no expert, so I recommend you to let Apple answer these questions. That - ProRes, FCPX<->Motion workflows, proxies, etc., - is exactly their area of expertise. They should be able to answer that most accurately.

Thank you,
Vlad
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

Lossless mean that compression is without loss, you retrieve exactly what you have compressed (like a zip or a rar file).
You have at least the following codec :
- UT Video
- Lagarith
(Both exist in 32 & 64 bits)
- HuffYUV
- Canopus lossless codec
Of course, there is probably others.
Last edited by jpsdr on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
blacksmoke

Post by blacksmoke »

Thanks man, i'm taking notes.