add a dust removal feature after denoising?

suggest a way to improve Neat Video
lansing

add a dust removal feature after denoising?

Post by lansing »

In my bluray of an old anime, there were not only heavy noise but so many small dust. Neat video did an amazing job on removing all the noises and keeping the rest untouched, but then the dust also became visible, and on playback, there's so many small white dots kept popping around. It'll be nice if you guys can add a feature to remove it.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Thank you for the suggestion. It is in the wish list, we will certainly consider it for future development.

Kind regards,
Vlad
JDW

Spot Healing?

Post by JDW »

It's now 2017 and there is a Dust and Scratches filter in version 4.5.2. The problem I am having is with white dots that don't move.

Neat Video handles moving noise well, but not fixed white dots. For example, I have a few places on my car's windshield that have been hit by rocks, resulting in tiny 2mm or size chips in the glass. When the light hits the glass just right, those nicks in the glass show up as white dots in the video. With the camera on a tripod, those dots remain in place throughout the video. It would be nice to know how to use Neat Video in FCPX to remove such stationary white dots. This is especially important in FCPX because there is no "Spot Healing Brush" that is present in graphics apps like Photoshop. So maybe Neat Video could benefit by adding a Spot Healing tool?

Thanks.
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

In that case, a thresholded median filter can do the trick (this kind of filter is also often called dust/scratch :wink: )
JDW

Post by JDW »

jpsdr wrote:In that case, a thresholded median filter can do the trick (this kind of filter is also often called dust/scratch :wink: )
Well where is that Median filter found?

(Yes, I tried the Neat Video Dust/Scratch filter and it does not work because the dots don't move.)
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

I don't know where to find filters for the application you are using. I was just telling what kind of filter you may have to search.
I've only provided a general way to search, not a specific place.
Unless you're using VirtualDub ?
JDW

Post by JDW »

jpsdr wrote:I don't know where to find filters for the application you are using.
FCPX
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

Sorry, i don't know anything about FCPX.
As i said, i was just telling what kind of filter you may try to search/test.
JDW

Post by JDW »

jpsdr wrote:Sorry, i don't know anything about FCPX.
As i said, i was just telling what kind of filter you may try to search/test.
I appreciate that, but one search of Google will show that FCPX has no such Media Filter and is why I, being in a Neat video licensed user, am posting here in the first place to request such functionality.

To repeat, I want to be able to use Neat Video in FCPX to easily cover/heal fixed dots or artifacts that are stationary in video, akin to what one can do with a mere click of the healing brush in Photoshop.

Thanks.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Thank you for the suggestion. This does indeed requires a different type of filter than those currently available in Neat Video. I am adding your suggestion to the wish list for future development.

Thank you,
Vlad
JDW

Post by JDW »

NVTeam wrote:I am adding your suggestion to the wish list for future development.
Thank you, Vlad! Neat Video is an already outstanding product, and stationary artifact removal would take it one notch higher.

Best wishes.
jpsdr

Post by jpsdr »

JDW wrote:of the healing brush in Photoshop.
Yes, i don't know the english version in Photoshop, but a median threshold is exactly what you have in Photoshop in "Noise -> Antidust" (this is translated from french version,i don't know if it's exactly the words you have in english version of Photoshop).
I have made for myself such a video filter, but it's for VirtualDub. It's very interesting for removing white dots from old VHS footage... :wink:
Lugarimo

Post by Lugarimo »

Stationary removal = content aware fill for video which Adobe is about to release in new version.