RAW files

general questions about Neat Image
grnskl

RAW files

Post by grnskl »

Can you work on RAW files directly in Neat Image, or do you have to convert them first? And can NI convert them?
tgieske
VG

Yes and no...

Post by VG »

You can work on a linear version of the RAW file if your conversion software allows for such. Other than that, you will have to convert to TIFF or JPEG.
VG
fantauzzi

Post by fantauzzi »

If you use Vuescan and save a RAW file in TIFF format, you can work on it with NeatImage directly.
EdEllks

RAW files

Post by EdEllks »

I think he meant more like a Canon RAW file (CRW), Nikon's RAW format, or some of the more popular camera manufactuers.

Direct support for RAW would be awesome!
Rob Keijzer

Post by Rob Keijzer »

In my humble opinion there would be no use for "direct RAW support", because you are not likely to save the filtered image back to the RAW file.

When I pull a RAW file into Photoshop, the image that I see on screen is "virtual". it has no file format whatsoever and just sits in RAM.
When I click on save (not save as...) PS opens the save as dialog giving me the choices there.

I wouldn't even WANT to save over the RAW file. Thats my "negative", so to speak. I always want to have the opportunity to revert back to it.

So in the above process I use NeatImage and THEN decide in what format I will save it.
Image software works on images, not on files.

Rob