How did you guys clean sample#2?

questions about practical use of Neat Video, examples of use
Lugarimo

How did you guys clean sample#2?

Post by Lugarimo »

The one with the woman sitting on a chair with heavy noise. I gotta say its awesome how smooth yet detailed the result was. It wasn't perfect but I guess that's impossible considering how much noise there was.

Anyway, I tried to use Neat Video to see if I can clean up that sample as good as the admin of the program, his staff or whoever the pro was behind that example. I simply couldn't. I messed around with the settings and can't figure out how you guys did it. I let it autoselect an area on the first frame, which was rated 53% but I dunno which other frame to look at as they are all basically the same.

Please tell me how you guys did it, I might learn how to better use it like a pro.

And another question: is it possible to make the program autosearch every frame for an area and repeat process until it finds the best % rating? That would be very convenient!
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

In a usual way: find the right frame, find the right area for analysis, analyze using Auto Profile, then perhaps additionally manually Fine-Tune using some more areas (I don't really remember if we did that for that clip), then adjust the filter radius probably (I think it was increased a bit)and that's it.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding autosearch. It could be useful indeed, yet sometimes human-selected areas may work better.

Thank you,
Vlad
Lugarimo

Post by Lugarimo »

Thanks! Turning up the radius to 5 helped a lot. Should I always use this value no matter how heavy the noise?

I'm quite satisfied with the result right now, but for educational purposes I manually tried the autoprofile for all 61 frames and found that frame 47 was the most suitable frame for locating an expendable noisy area (58% wheras most are 52%.) This is precisely why an autosearch feature should be implemented. The autoprofile algorithm itself is rather good, and has better taste in isolating noise from detail than me for the most part. Most areas I select on my own have a rating of 30%. Thanks again for the filter! It works wonders.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Larger radius means slower processing so when a smaller radius is sufficient you can win some time.

I am glad you have been able to get good results. The key is to build an accurate noise profile.

Best regards,
Vlad
Lugarimo

Post by Lugarimo »

Larger radius means slower processing
Pfft, I don't care.

Two more questions: what if I hypothetically can't find an expendable area to build a noise profile? What would I do?

And, where can I find noisy video samples that I can do more tests with. Preferably a video with heavy noise like your sample#2, and ones with different types of noise. I want a video denoising "training ground" :)
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

You can try to manually select a smaller area (the minimum size is 32x32 pixels). Or extract some smaller areas and combine them into one larger one in an image editor. Or shoot some test footage specifically for the purpose of profiling.

Regarding test footage, I guess it makes sense to test the filter with the actual footage you have to work with. The final goal is to make the filter work well on that footage, so it makes sense to directly train on that footage.

Vlad
Lugarimo

Post by Lugarimo »

Hi again, I don't know whats wrong with me but I can't seem to get the same crispness as before. I got no idea which settings I used last time, but I know I'm missing something, because mine looks like this Image while yours looks like this Image

Mine is all blurred, why? These are my settings: autoprofile frame 47 because it gets the best rating, turn radius to 5 and that's what I get. Sorry for bugging you, but if I'm gonna become pro then I will need to learn how to get the best results with any noisy video I get. As good as you, my good teacher of these fine arts.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

It is quite likely that we built a profile after manually selecting an area for Auto Profile to analyze. Don't really remember if that was the case but generally you can get a more accurate profile by selecting an area manually (or at least by checking whether the automatics selected an uniform area), especially when the frame size is that small.

Vlad
Lugarimo

Post by Lugarimo »

I tried to manually select an area but none of my attempts were any better quality. What does uniform mean? Which area should I focus on? The drawer? It seems the most featureless "uniform" area if thats what the word means. And which frame should I select? One with the more gaussian noise or one with a combination of gaussian and low-frequency noise (one with noise and flat blocks)?