Interlaced video

general questions about Neat Video
Springboard

Interlaced video

Post by Springboard »

I'm trying to clean up some clips from a wedding, shot on a friend's old analog camera (VHS-C or at most Hi-8 probably) in NTSC and copied to VHS. I had the VHS captured at a video store onto a DV deck, and I then captured the DV tape to computer. So I'm assuming it's interlaced with lower field first.

I'm trying out Neat Video in VirtualDub. The noise cleanup itself looks great, but when I try setting Interlaced video, the result (played back in VirtualDub, Windows Media, and on a DVD) shows lots of interlacing/combing whenever there is movement of any kind. On the DVD the combing seems more like large stepping/jaggies, while on the computer it's like odd and even lines are moving at different rates. So somehow neither the computer nor the DVD player is doing the deinterlacing correctly anymore.

I tried doing deinterlace (unfold) and deinterlace (fold) around the filter and setting the filter to progressive, but it didn't make a difference. Any idea what's going on?
Springboard

Post by Springboard »

Actually I just realized this should probably be in the practical use section, but now I don't want to double post...
Lugarimo

Post by Lugarimo »

I would deinterlace before using NeatVideo to remove noise. There are many deinterlacers out there, I heard the best is Yadif, so look for that.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

> I'm assuming it's interlaced with lower field first.

That may not necessarily be true. If interlaced, the clip may have an incorrect field order. Or it may already be deinterlaced before.

Please double-check the clip properties.

Thank you,
Vlad
Springboard

Post by Springboard »

How would I check? In Virtualdub, the input frames (on the left) look fine, while the output frames (on right) show the combing, even when no filters are applied. Do I have Virtualdub set up incorrectly maybe?

The original video was just taken with a friend's NTSC camcorder capturing live action. The only processing has been copying to VHS (probably done through RCA cables), copying from VHS tape to DV tape in a DV deck, and then my normal capturing from DV tape to the computer. It's not like it was a capture of a movie that could have been deinterlaced at some point. The only place I could see any deinterlacing going on would be if somehow the DV deck was doing that?

I'm considering just deinterlacing anyway -- maybe even doing 24P for a film look. But I would like to figure out what I'm doing wrong at this stage.
NVTeam

Post by NVTeam »

Please check the VirtualDub menu Options > Preview field mode > ???

Regarding the clip itself, test it using GSpot ( gspot.headbands.com ), it may help.

Vlad
Springboard

Post by Springboard »

GSpot helped. It showed interlaced bottom first for the source clip, and no readings at all on the clip after the filters were applied. I figured out it was because I wasn't compressing the video. I had assumed there was no need to since I was testing a 1 minute clip, but I guess one has to compress using a codec in Vdub. I'm not really up on the codecs and compression stuff.

After compressing with a DV codec, everything worked fine using the interlaced setting. I also tried it after deinterlacing and changing to 24P with dv2film and setting Neat Video on progressive, and that also worked.

I'm unclear what the preview field mode menu does -- I'm assuming it's just for watching the video.

Thanks much. You've got a great product with great support. Just letting it do an automatic analysis, even with an area it thinks is too small, resulted in all of the fuzzy noise disappearing. Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of the chroma-shifting color bleed stuff. After running Neat Video the white walls are finally smooth, but still pink and green and orange.
Lugarimo

Post by Lugarimo »

I know this is off topic, but is there a version of gspot that works with MKV and other new formats? Is there ANY tool like gspot that gives codec info of MKV?
themaster

Post by themaster »

Lugarimo wrote:I know this is off topic, but is there a version of gspot that works with MKV and other new formats? Is there ANY tool like gspot that gives codec info of MKV?
You tried Media Info ? Not sure about mkv but it can get infos about lots of vids.. if not all
Lugarimo

Post by Lugarimo »

Thanks, I downloaded Media Info. It's good but not as pretty interface as Gspot and it doesn't always give all the info. It doesn't tell the bitrate of the audio in MKV. If I knew how to program I would update gspot :(