Mac version getting close?

general questions about Neat Image
taob

Post by taob »

Oh my god... is that the Four Horsemen I see riding in over the horizon? Has Hell finally frozen over? I can't believe NeatImage for the Mac is finally here! And I don't even use a Mac!!! :) Now why is it at version 2, when the PC is already at version 4? :(
NeatImage Pro Plus 5.0 + dual Opteron 244 + Windows XP SP2 + FreeBSD 5.2
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

There will be more surprises in the future. :)

Why version 2? - Because it is not yet as powerful (in terms of features and functions) as the PC version. Hopefully the Mac version will catch up soon and then both versions will go in parallel.

Vlad
taob

Post by taob »

Ah, okay, that's good then. I hate it when a software vendor (*cough*PhaseOne*cough*) slaps the same version number on their Mac and PC versions, but they have different feature sets.

So this initial release of the Macintosh software is only as a Photoshop plug-in, right? Not as a standalone OSX application?
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Yes, it is only a Photoshop plug-in. On the other hand can you imagine a Mac without Photoshop? :)

Vlad
taob

Post by taob »

Actually, I can, at least until Apple starts bundling in Photoshop CS for free with every Mac sold. :) On a more serious note though, my question would be "why do I need to fire up Photoshop just to use NeatImage?". :)
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

Well, it is really a question for me being a Window user in the first place but the fact is most requests for a Mac version of Neat Image we received were related to a plug-in for Photoshop.

Besides, Neat Image /Mac is a Photoshop-compatible plug-in, it can be used with other hosts too.

Vlad
taob

Post by taob »

True enough, and at least there is something available for the Mac users now, and they can start breathing again. :)
aglang

Post by aglang »

So then the PC Photoshop plugin will no work in Photoshop on a MAC, correct?
taob

Post by taob »

aglang wrote:So then the PC Photoshop plugin will no work in Photoshop on a MAC, correct?
Nope. Are there any plugins where the same file works on both a Windows machine and a Mac?
tmay

build to unique features under OSX

Post by tmay »

I'm very much looking forward to the release of OSX 10.4 Tiger. Some of the new technologies in Tiger will have a very positive impact on image processing. Three that come to mind are Spotlight (metadata searches), Automator (GUI based workflow scripting), and Core Image (system filters and acceleration via gpu of video card). Features such as these should be maximized, even if the Neat Imageproduct families are a bit divergent.

Still, I haven't any complaints so far with Neat Image for OSX.

Thanks!