Ugh, spam to my NI forum address!

general questions about Neat Image
taob

Ugh, spam to my NI forum address!

Post by taob »

Has anyone else noticed spam being addressed to the e-mail address they supplied when registering here on the forum? I've whitelisted that address at my end, to ensure that NI announcements are accidentally blocked. However, I received spam today with the subject "Well well well!" that was sent to the e-mail address I used to register here (and this is the only place I have ever used it).

Vlad, any idea how spammers could have gotten a hold of my e-mail here? I've always had my profile set to not display my e-mail address. This is most troubling. :(
NeatImage Pro Plus 5.0 + dual Opteron 244 + Windows XP SP2 + FreeBSD 5.2
probegt93

Re: Ugh, spam to my NI forum address!

Post by probegt93 »

taob wrote:Has anyone else noticed spam being addressed to the e-mail address they supplied when registering here on the forum? I've whitelisted that address at my end, to ensure that NI announcements are accidentally blocked. However, I received spam today with the subject "Well well well!" that was sent to the e-mail address I used to register here (and this is the only place I have ever used it).

Vlad, any idea how spammers could have gotten a hold of my e-mail here? I've always had my profile set to not display my e-mail address. This is most troubling. :(
It could also be a spammer just using trial and error. I have a couple of email address I have never used for anything yet and I'm receiving a piece of spam every once and a while.

http://www.pbase.com/tzphotos
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

taob,

The only way a spammer can get your e-mail address is to register in this forum and then get your e-mail from your profile. The other way is that the e-mail is mentioned in a forum message somewhere.

In any case, we do not distribute or share your personal data (including your e-mail addresses).

I will try to search the forum to see how the e-mail could leak to non-registered readers.

Vlad
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

taob,

please take a look at this posting.

You may want to edit it or change the e-mail you use in Neat Image forum.

Hope this helps.
Vlad
taob

Post by taob »

Ah, so I guess you don't need to be registered first to read posts (only create posts, I guess?). Damn spammers! *shakes fist*
NeatImage Pro Plus 5.0 + dual Opteron 244 + Windows XP SP2 + FreeBSD 5.2
NITeam

Post by NITeam »

No, you don't need to register to read. We could make the whole forum closed but I am not sure it would be a good solution for a product like Neat Image.

Sorry they got your e-mail. I suggest to simply replace it with a new one, block the old one and edit that posting.

Vlad